Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.93

Hello ladies,

ready for my random ramblings? If so, read on, and don’t forget to share yours in the comments!

Pink owl

owl
How cute is this little pink owl? It was a present from my boyfriend and has now a place of honour on my desk. Did you get any nice presents, lately?

What I’m Reading Now

the assassination of the archduke greg king
The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World by Greg King, Sue Woolmans
We all know that the assassination of the archduke Franz Ferdinand was the spark that triggered World War I. But what’s the truth behind his murder? And who was Franz Ferdinand? This book tries to answer these questions, as well as telling the story of his tragic romance with countess Sophie Chotek. Because she didn’t have royal blood, she wasn’t eligible to marry Franz Ferdinand. Therefore his family opposed the match, but the archduke refused to give her up, and the couple was eventually allowed a morganatic marriage (meaning Sophie wouldn’t share her husband’s rank and their children would be barred from the line of succession). The Imperial family, however, continued to humiliate and shun Sophie, who, surprisingly, never complained about it. The couple, devoted to each other and their children, simply spent as much time as possible away from court.

And when the trip to Sarajevo was proposed, Sophie, knowing the real danger her husband would be in (which was underestimated by the authorities but not by the couple themselves), decided to accompany him insisting her place was at his side. They were both killed, leaving three young children whose heartbreaking story (they were kicked out of their house by the republican government which succeeded the empire and which illegally seized their properties, and, years later, the two boys would end up in concentration camps for their opposition to the Nazi regime) is also narrated. It’s impossible to remain unmoved by such a story. The book is also written in an engaging style and flows easily. I highly recommend it.

The Links

The Beauty Department explains how to highlight your face.

The Beauty Brains wonders if microbeads are bad for the environment?

Beauty Redefined discusses the dangers of physically photoshopping ourselves out of reality.

Derm TV talks about exercise skincare.

Viva Woman wonders if you can make a full time income blogging.

Sunday Survey, Vol.172

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling?
Sometimes. I still have a few old guidebooks, so when I’m travelling to those destinations I’ll bring them with me.

2. Do you wear makeup when you work out?
I do sometimes, if I’m testing a product that claims to be longlasting or waterproof. Otherwise I don’t see much point in wearing a full face of makeup that will just melt off.

3. What feed reader are you using at the moment?
Feedly. It has a simple and intuitive interface. And it’ very similar to Google Reader, which I really miss.

4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop?
Dorothy Perkins. I think their clothes are pretty. Topshop tries really hard to be too fashion-forward and edgy imo and, as a result, a lot of their clothes are quite hard to wear.

5. What do you think of creeper shoes?
I think they are really ugly!

It’s your turn now!
1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling?
2. Do you wear makeup when you work out?
3. What feed reader are you using at the moment?
4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop?
5. What do you think of creeper shoes?

Comments

Oh gosh the Habsburg are such a sorry lot! All the drama and tragic endings. Given the sadness of the outcome I wouldn’t be able to read this book.

1. I haven’t traveled in ages but I do think I would prefer a print book to my tiny iPhone. I need a good sized map and you can’t get that on a small screen.
    2. Since for me it’s mainly walking I’d say yes.
    3. Bloglovin. For some reason I can’t link back to Feedly.
    4. No opinion since I know neither.
    5. I had to look those up :) and I must say, I don’t think I would ever consider wearing them! I’m not a fan of big feet.

Love the little owl! :)
    Icaria´s last blog post ..O.P.I Expert Touch Lacquer Remover / Review…My Profile

Icaria, they are indeed. I loved the book, but reading the last chapters was difficult because they are so heartbreaking.

You make a great point in favour of printed guidebooks. I think it’s always handy to have one of those around, just in case.

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling? I’ve never bought a guidebook (I’ve never really left the US.) However, when I was thinking of going to the UK, I picked up some print guidebooks at the library.

2. Do you wear makeup when you work out? Almost never, however, I did a women’s only 5K race yesterday and wore makeup for that. :)

3. What feed reader are you using at the moment? Feedly as well! I switched over to that when Google Reader was done.

4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop? I’ve never heard of the first one, and only have heard of Topshop and never shopped there….

5. What do you think of platform sneakers? I think they’re pretty terrible. They were super in style when I was a teenager, but I thought they were ugly.
    Trisha´s last blog post ..9 Ways to Wear Sigma Creme de Couture Eye ShadowsMy Profile

Trisha, I agree about the shoes. That’s such an awful style and I hope it will disappear soon.

I’m still so sad about the demise of Google Reader, but Feedly is an alternative, isn’t it?

I can’t say anything about the lines in their entirety, because they didn’t remain in Serbia long enough, but one of my favourite tops ever is from Dorothy Perkins.
    A Breton-like orange striped top – I love it so <3 !

Rambling: yesterday was my birthday and I got some cute and needed presents, but the best thing was going for an excursion with my friends/colleagues and our Algerian students (who are our age).
    The weather was divine, the town we visited beautiful, the nature lovely – a perfect day!
    And today was my parents' godchild's 18th birthday, so the good feeling have continued ^_^ .
    Oooh, and our IMATS, where I scored some great deals and a pair of beautiful paper lashes :D .
    Ana´s last blog post ..booksnbuildings:

Bookbinding, embossed and enamelled…My Profile

4. beautifulwithbrains says

Ana, sounds like you had a great week and a wonderful birthday! I’m glad you had a fan one. And happy birthday!

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling?
    Sometimes, yes!
    2. Do you wear makeup when you work out?
    Never, don’t want to deal with the inevitable breakout/raccoon eyes.
    3. What feed reader are you using at the moment?
    Feedly!
    4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop?
    Don’t think we have the first one here, so I suppose Topshop.
    5. What do you think of creeper shoes?
    No, just no.
    Makeup Morsels´s last blog post ..$5 Lip BAR HeavenMy Profile

Makeup Morsels, I agree about makeup when working out. Everything is a mess afterwards, so no thank you!

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling?
    Not a guidebook, but a map book. >D Never know when you’ll need them!

2. Do you wear makeup when you work out?
    Only if I wore it for another thing, and I happened to be in the neighbourhood of my gym. If I have time, I can’t pass by without going in… even for 20mins.

3. What feed reader are you using at the moment?
    None.

4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop?
    I have no idea who either of those are. I’m guessing clothiers, by your comments.

5. What do you think of creeper shoes?
    Platform sneakers? Depends. Some of them are just fugly, but my friend has an all-black pair that are really comfortable and nice-looking. They’re great for going to work in, since they have support for people with ridic. high arches. ::grins::

By the way, thanks for reposting the article on highlighting… I’ve been meaning to learn how to do this, since my face ends up looking round and chubby on camera, but in reality it isn’t. I think contouring and highlighting for the camera will help!
    BebeTaian´s last blog post ..For Sale Sunday: Wedding Accessories, YukataMy Profile

BebeTaian, maps are always very handy when you travel indeed.

I’m glad your friend managed to find a pair of platform sneakers that’s both comfortable and nice-looking. :)

And you’re welcome. :)

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling? Not really. I try to watch videos/ read about the country online.
    2. Do you wear makeup when you work out? No, I don’t see the point. Maybe just some mascara.
    3. What feed reader are you using at the moment? Feedly.
    4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop? Topshop, but I like both.
    5. What do you think of creeper shoes? I used to have a pair ages ago)
    PS. I love you are reading a new book every week, that is very inspiring. I try to read more myself!
    Marina(Makeup4all)´s last blog post ..Givenchy Makeup Collection for Christmas 2013My Profile

Marina, I never thought about watching videos of places I want to visit. What a great idea!

Thanks, and that’s great that you’re trying to read more too. :) I’ve found more time for reading since I bought a kindle as I can take it everywhere with me and read it on the train, at the hairdresser’s, at the doctor’s…

1. Do you still use a print guidebook when travelling?
    Sometimes, if I’m in an unfamiliar place.

2. Do you wear makeup when you work out?
    No anymore as I don’t have a gym membership. I work out at home.

3. What feed reader are you using at the moment?
    Bloglovin

4. Dorothy Perkins or Topshop?
    I’m not familiar with D Perkins, but I just saw Topshop in Nordstrom and found it all a bit too cute.

5. What do you think of creeper shoes?
    Too ugly for me .. but I suppose they look ok if styled well.

Monica.
    Monica P´s last blog post ..Button cardigan and the drape neckline topMy Profile

Monica, some sort of map is essential in an unfamiliar place, isn’t it? It’s so easy to get lost. I know I would! :)