Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.82

Hello everyone,

and welcome to another week of random ramblings. Mine are mostly about the 18th century and Versailles today (it’s one of my favourite historical periods), but don’t forget to share yours. I’d love to hear what you’ve been up to lately. :)

Jules Gervais-Courtellemont

players at the temple of love

Can you imagine what wonderful pictures we’d have of Marie Antoinette and her court if this art had been discovered sooner? Luckily, we can get a glimpse of that thanks to French photographer Jules Gervais-Courtellemont and his autochromes of some historical players at Versailles, taken in 1925. Fascinating, isn’t it? If you want to see more photos, check out Reading Treasure. The blog is a treasure trove for all things Marie Antoinette.

What I’m Reading Now

memoirs of madame campan
Memoirs Of The Court Of Marie Antoinette by Madame Campan. This is a must read book for everyone interested in the life of Marie Antoinette and the court she presided over. Madame Campan was reader to Louis XV’s daughters and later became Marie Antoinette’s First Lady of the Bedchamber. Although she wrote her memoirs during the Restoration, which means that she may have embellished some details to please the royal family, I find most of her account generally (but not always) reliable. She was very attached to her mistress and although she may have minimized some of her faults and those of her husband, she’s still quite critical of them at times. Madame Campan provides a fascinating look behind the scenes at court and describes what life really was like at Versailles. Her style is lively and engaging and she really makes the court come to life. If you’re interested, it’s available for free at Project Gutenberg.

The Links

Over at Lab Muffin, guest poster Cassie shares the history of the half moon.

Personal Care Truth wonders if cosmetics are FDA approved or certified?

Brightest Bulb In The Box wonders if Bliss Fat Girl Slim really works?

Beautyholics Anonymous explains how to choose the right shade of blush for you.

Over at The Sunday Girl, guest poster Lily shares some useful tips on how to buy indie cosmetics.

Sunday Survey, Vol.161

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself?
Nope, and I’m not sure I’d want to. I like being alone, but that’d be too lonely even for me.

2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination?
Sleek Makeup Blush in Suede and Milani Minerals Blush. The former defines my cheekbones, while the latter gives my cheeks a healthy peachy pink pop of colour and a lovely glow.

3. The last person you texted?
My boyfriend.

4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad?
That’s a tough choice! But I’d go with Elie Saab. His creations are so beautiful and sophisticated!

5. Do you like platform shoes?
Depends how tall the platform is! If it’s a couple of inches yes, otherwise they can be look tacky and be quite dangerous to walk in too without practice!

It’s your turn now!
1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself?
2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination?
3. The last person you texted?
4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad?
5. Do you like platform shoes?

Comments

Those autochromes are divine!

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself?
    Yes, for a month and I loved it!
    The only way to travel!

You (general ‘you’) might be alone, but that doesn’t mean that you’ll get lonely.
    + You might not even be alone – when you’re not with someone that might serve as a safety blanket, you’re more open to meeting new people, and new people are less afraid of approaching you.

I’m not opposed to traveling with others, but I haven’t found my ideal traveling partner yet, so I’d rather travel on my own than with someone I adore… but who wants to spend our 4 hours in Paris drinking overpriced coffee instead of exploring Monmartre.

3. The last person you texted?
    I texted my friends to tell them I’m thinking of them :) .

4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad?
    Oooh, a tough one.
    Zuhair Murad – details, details, details!

5. Do you like platform shoes?
    Same as you.
    Ana´s last blog post ..aleyma:

Yoshida Hiroshi, Udaipur Palace, 1931 (source).My Profile

Ana, they are, aren’t they? I wish he had taken a lot more!

You make a great point about travelling alone. I still think it’s a bit lonely, but it’s always better than going with a bad travelling partner. I usually travel with my bf and luckily he doesn’t mind waking up early, exploring the cities on foot and visiting museums. The only downside is that he refuses to spend a long time shopping, and for him 20 minutes are already a long time… men…

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself? I haven’t yet but I did traveled alone a couple of times. :)
    2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination? Sweet pink! :)
    3. The last person you texted? My boyfriend
    4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad? Elie Saab.
    5. Do you like platform shoes? Always and Only platform shoes, they are so comfortable for me to walk in. I would choose high platform shoes (I do have experience) over pumps or stilettos anytime. :D
    Tavia´s last blog post ..Chanel Fall 2013 Nuit Magique Collection for Vogue Fashion Night – Info & PhotosMy Profile

Tavia, platform shoes are definitely more comfortable to walk in than high stilettos! You have better balance, but I still prefer the latter just because I think they look prettier. But platform shoes are a great option, especially for daytime.

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself? No and I don’t think I’d like that. I agree with you!
    2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination?it depends on my mood really, but something cool toned.
    3. The last person you texted? I think it was my boyfriend.
    4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad? I love both but it’s not my style.
    5. Do you like platform shoes? I don’t own that many.
    Marina(Makeup4all)´s last blog post ..Clarins Joli Rouge Lipstick in 738 Royal Plum Review and Lip SwatchesMy Profile

Marina, I think it’d be ok to go by yourself for a few hours, but days or weeks, not really. If you’re not lucky to meet people on the way, it can be quite lonely.

Oh Gio, I didn’t know this photographer, thank you!
    1. I have and although I missed my hubby it wasn’t that lonely.
    2. These days it’s either Dior Coral Glow or Terracotta with a bit of coral (almost the same thing I know). :)
    3. My brother in law.
    4. I should google both since I don’t know them except for Saab’s makeup. *hides*
    5. The regular ones (espadrilles type) yes but the high heeled ones no. I’m 5’6″, not that tall but still I don’t feel the need for them.
    Icaria´s last blog post ..Recent Purchases…My Profile

Icaria, I discovered him only recently too, and I just had to share! :)

Espadrilla platforms are lovely, and definitely more comfortable than the high heeled ones!

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself? No, and I don’t think I would either.

2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination? Something coral with a hint of non-too-shimmery highlight. Maybe Smashbox’s Halo Longwear Blush in Peachy Dream with YSL Touche Eclat?

3. The last person you texted? My mom. She’s in Austria right now with my dad. They are on this mini road trip.

4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad? Elie Saab

5. Do you like platform shoes? Nope, and I doubt I ever will :-)
    Kiss & Make-up´s last blog post ..Review | Susanne Kaufmann Sun Cream & Moisture GelMy Profile

Kiss & Make-up, that would be a lovely cheek combo.

I hope your parents are having a great time in Austria.

1. Have you ever gone on holiday by yourself?
    Nope, but I hope to some day! :) Would be great just to spend time with myself and regain my center :)

2. What’s your favourite cheek colour combination?
    I love layering the NARS Nico over NARS Deep Throat – it gives such a lovely glow to my cheeks! :)

3. The last person you texted?
    My Dad! :D

4. Elie Saab or Zuhair Murad?
    Oh boy… I can’t choose!! Both design super beautiful pieces that are oh so feminine and elegant!

5. Do you like platform shoes?
    I do!! I love espadrilles! Been looking for the perfect pair for years but have yet to find one :(
    Jenn´s last blog post ..Product Review: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion + (DDML+)My Profile