New Collection: Lancome In Love Spring 2013

lancome in love spring 2013 collection 09
I have mixed feelings about Lancome in Love, the new collection for spring 2013. I’m in love with the beautiful and springy coral, pink, lilac and green shades, but I find the packaging really offputting. It’s clear from the garish bright pink colour that this collection is aimed at a younger audience, but the prices certainly aren’t. I can see teenage girls drooling over the pink blush compact and cute eyeshadow palette, but not many of them will actually have the money to buy them.

If Lancome wanted to revamp their image, their should have done an Estee Lauder. The brand has hired Tom Pecheux who has managed to take Estee Lauder from boring an old-fashioned to modern, fun and playful, while staying true to the brand’s elegant and sophisticated aesthetic. Lancome totally missed the mark here, in my opinion. But let’s see what the collection includes, shall we?

lancome in love spring 2013 collection 04
PALETTE IN LOVE
Available in Kaleidoslove.

lancome in love spring 2013 collection 03
OMBRE IN LOVE
Available in Postachio Cream, Sugar Rose and Violette Candy.

lancome in love spring 2013 collection 07

Urban Ballet: satin bright pink

lancome in love spring 2013 collection 02
VERNIS IN LOVE
Peach Melodie: orange
Rose Macaron: fuchsia
Sugar Rose: pink

The collection is already available at Nordstrom. What do you think of it?

Comments

Valeria, I honestly don’t know what they were thinking. So not what you would expect from a sophisticated brand like Lancome.

Eight, I agree. A pink accent here and there would have looked beautiful and elegant. This is way too much!

Too teenage like for my taste. I like the lipsticks, crayons and nailpolishes but the compacts, even if the colors are very pretty, do look a little cheapish. I haven’t seen them in real life yet but on pictures they almost look like they’re made of cardboard. Did you see the minaudières Olympia Le-Tan designed for Lancôme? Only 100 where made and at $1800 CAD I’m really questioning the direction they are taking. Although talented, Le-Tan’s style is a little far from what I thought was Lancôme’s style.
    Icaria´s last blog post ..MAC Archies Girl’s Collection, Spring 2013My Profile

Icaria, I think Olympia Le Tan clutch is beautiful, but I’m surprised she designed it for Lancome as, like you mentioned, it’s not their style at all. I understand that they want to attract a younger audience, but have young people really that amount of cash to spend? I love Lancome but I think they’ve taken the completely wrong direction here and risk alienating their older and faithful customers without really attracting many new ones.

2. Janessa says

I wouldn’t spend this kind of money for this packaging. You’re very right about the contradicting price and packaging. I’d expect this from a drugstore brand; it seems like a product bought for a “one-time wear” or seasonal pickup and not a splurge.

Janessa, I agree, this looks like drugstore makeup. If it were, I would consider it, but from Lancome, it’s a disappointment.

3. Donna says

Lancome has had really nice packaging in the past, this line is very cheap looking, guess I will go back to Estee Lauder, if I am paying for a product I expect it to have a bit more class than the usual teen cheap makeup that is sold in local discount stores. Wise up before its too late!!

Donna, I couldn’t agree more with everything you said. With high-end makeup, packaging is part of the package, and this just isn’t good enough to justify the prices. Estee Lauder did a much better job at revamping the packaging so that it would attract new customers while keeping the old ones happy too.