QOTW: What Beauty Products Should Men Use More Often?

What beauty products should men use more often?

My answer: I just think they should learn to take better care of their skin and come up with some sort of routine such as cleanser, sunscreen and moisturizer. And it wouldn’t hurt if they started using conditioner either. I know that men view skincare, and even haircare, as girl, but seriously, if your skin/hair is dry and flaky, or you have zits or whatever, it means something wrong and you should fix it! And then keep taking care of your skin to prevent it from happening again. Why can’t they see that? *sighs*

Comments

1. 1

Anastasia says

Ugh, definitely conditioner if they have long hair. I knew a guy who didn’t even use shampoo, just washed his hair with water.

*shudder*

I think eyebrow plucking can be really effective for men, too.

• 2

beautifulwithbrains says

Anastasia, just water? That’s a bit.. extreme. And it won’t clean hair as well as a shampoo. But hey, at least he washed it.

And I agree about eyebrow plucking, but sadly I can’t see many of them getting into it anytime soon. I try to bring up the subject with my boyfriend every now and then cos he needs it, but he just gives me a weird look and thinks I’m crazy for suggesting it. *sighs*

2. 3

says

Misogyny, basically. Here’s how it works:

Women are effeminate, we wear makeup and use lotions, clean our faces, and generally looking good is how we are judged as objects in society. Men are the opposite of women, and to use any sort of decent hygiene-related products is girly, so taking care of problem skin in a violation of manliness. In short, they will be worth less (worthless) because they are “girls”. Thus, all the *same* products made for women can now be marked up in price and labeled FOR MEN, regardless of scent or other ingredient alterations made. It’s just another play on this stupid societal fear and hatred of women and all things female.
    BebeTaian´s last blog post ..Tenshi Kinryouku: Fallen Angels PaletteMy Profile

• 4

beautifulwithbrains says

BebeTaian I agree with you. I hate it how it is ok for women to do masculine things, but for a man to do feminine things is shameful. It’s disgusting. There’s nothing wrong with showing a tender side, be more caring, take better care of your appearance etc.. Men have a lot to learn from us, and it’s sad they can’t see it. We need to get rid of this macho culture. The sooner, the better. Sadly, I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

• 8

beautifulwithbrains says

Ana, it’s great that the men in your life are taking good care of themselves. Suddenly I can’t say the same…

And I agree with sunscreen. Not many people know how important it is and they are so used to go without it that even when you point out how useful it is, they struggle to believe it.

• 9

says

I’m one of the guilty sunscreeners. I must have three or four bottles of the stuff right now, but I never wear it… even in FL, where the UV index is at 10-13 daily. Why? Because my skin becomes extremely oily or breaks out every time it’s on. I’ve had wrinkles in my face since I was a pre-teen, but somehow, looking 40 at 25 seems more manageable than wearing sunscreen that will leave me greasy and splotchy every day. I can’t stand it!
        BebeTaian´s last blog post ..Coveted Kimono: So Many Obi ChoicesMy Profile

• 10

beautifulwithbrains says

BebeTaian, I’m so sorry to hear that! Wearing sunscreen is so important, but I can see why you would prefer to go without it if it has that effect on you. Have you tried using moisturizers or powders with SPF? They won’t give you the same level of protection but it’s better than nothing.

3. 15

Valeria says

1. Deodorant. No explanation needed!
    2. Lipbalm, I know many guys with horribly flaky dry lips – okay flakes of dead skin are gross enough but sometimes so dry that their lips are cracking and bleeding?! and yet they refuse to use some lipbalm because “it’s like lipstick, yuck” Thankfully I’m slowly converting the men around me to at least use some vaseline
    3. Basic skincare.. My brother uses the same harsh soap to wash his hair, face, and body, and then wonders why his skin is so dry. He doesn’t use moisturizer or lotion either because “it feels gross & slimey” He and my father also agreed that there was nothing wrong with saving money by using LAUNDRY DETERGENT as shampoo. You can imagine my state of shock. . .
    4. Sunscreen. No one wants skin cancer! I guess this really goes with #3.

• 16

beautifulwithbrains says

Valeria, laundry detergent?! That would be so drying and probably irritating too! I don’t get men. I can understand not wanting to use any products when you’re skin is ok, but when it’s dry, flaky and even bleeding, then it’s time to do something about it! Why can’t they realize it?!

4. 17

Janessa says

Men need to use moisturizers and sunscreen more often! My mom and I (just because I recommended it) have given my dad nice serums, toners, cleansers, and moisturizers but he only cleanses and doesn’t moisturize just because he likes the clean feeling. Often times, I agree with you, guys just jump in the shower and whatever water drips off their head onto their face is considered washing haha.

• 18

beautifulwithbrains says

Janessa, that’s so true! I wish they’d learned to take better care of their skin. They would greatly benefit from it!

• 20

beautifulwithbrains says

Icaria, what a shame he never started wearing sunscreen, but it’s good that he has good hygiene. Some men don’t even have that.