yesterday I shared with you my favourite products of 2012. Now, it’s time to talk about those that instead have disappointed me. Luckily, they aren’t many. I usually do my research before purchasing as that greatly reduces the chances I’ll end up with something I dislike, but nonetheless I’ve got my fair shares of duds this year too. You may disagree with me on some of the products in this list. If one of them works better for you than it does for me, do share your experience in the comments.
So, what products did disappoint me this year?
1. Flora by Gucci Scents: Glamorous Magnolia, Gorgeous Gardenia and Gracious Tuberose, which are all part of the Flora by Gucci Garden Collection, are some of the most disappointing scents I’ve ever tried. These sweet, fruity floral scents are generic, insipid and the flowers they are named after can hardly be smelled in them. And they don’t last that long either. Even if you like this kind of scents (fragrances are very subjective after all), there is nothing in them to justify the outrageous $70.00 price tag.
2. Nour Aleppo Soap with 30% Laurel Oil: I know a lot of people who swear by this soap, but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. Strongly scented, the soap, which is made mostly of olive oil and laurel oil, cleanses skin too well, removing all traces of dirt and other impurities, but leaving it feeling tight. In addition, Laurel Oil at this concentration can be irritating and comedogenic (the soap did make me break out).
3. Essence Express Dry Drops: while these drops do what they promise and dry your nail polish really quickly, they also turn your whole hands into an oily and greasy mess. They’re just very unpractical and uncomfortable to use and I don’t see who would want to opt for these drops over a regular, quick-drying and mess-free top coat polish.
4. Nelsons Pure & Clear Balancing Moisturiser: the problem with this lightweight moisturizer, which leaves skin soft, smooth and hydrated, is its high concentration of Ethylhexyl Palmitate, a comedogenic ingredient, which broke me out. Although there are people who can use this ingredient without their faces turning into a war zone, I had to include it in this list because I believe that a moisturizer aimed at blemish-prone skin shouldn’t contain any comedogenic ingredients at all, and especially not in high amounts.
5. Idea Toscana Prima Spremitura Olive Oil Soap: I really didn’t have much luck with bar soaps this year. This one too cleanses skin well, but it’s quite harsh and can be drying and irritating. And it has an olive oil scent that you’ll either love or hate.
6. Sleek Makeup Kohl Pencils: if you’re a regular reader of my blog, you know how much I love Sleek Makeup and can imagine how it pains me to add one of their products to a “worst list”. But every brand has its dud and this is Sleek Makeup’s. The brand is famous for its insanely-pigmented products, but the two shades I’ve tried, Gold and Sheer Marine, are very, very sheer to the point of being almost invisible even when layered. Skip these and try the Eau La La pencils instead. Those are awesome!
Have you tried any products that have disappointed you this year?