Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.53

Hello,

and happy holidays everyone! Sit back, relax and enjoy this week’s random ramblings:

On My Wishlist, Vol.2

1. Les Merveilleuses de Laduree Cheek Color Mini Collection: this cute and luxurious heart-shaped case contains a pretty cheek tint. It is available in three different shades. I love everything about it bar the price ($115.00)!

2. Accessorize Owl Cameo Ring: I love both owls and cameos so I squeaked with delight when I saw this owl cameo ring. How adorable is it?

3. Oscar De La Renta Printed Dress: a gorgeous and artsy dress from one of my favourite designers. Doesn’t it remind you of an Impressionist painting?

4. Etat Libre d’Orange The Afternoon of a Faun: a moss, myrrh and leather concoction inspired by the faun, a passionate and mythological creature. It sounds rich, complex and original and I can’t wait to give this one a sniff.

5. Clé De Peau Beauté Palette De Voyage: how gorgeous is this palette? A luxurious travel case houses an Eyeshadow Quad, The Mascara deluxe sample, Extra-Rich Lipstick in R5, Cheek Color #3, Powder Eyeliner & Eyebrow and three applicators. This would be worth getting just for the travel case alone imo, so chic!

What’s on your wishlist?

What I’m Reading Now

My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst. I didn’t expect to sympathize with Emmeline Pankhurst when I started reading her biography but I did. Of course I do not agree with some of her tactics (window breaking, destruction of property, starting fires etc), but I can now see why she and the other suffragettes in the WSPU did all these things. Mrs Pankhurst, and many others, had fought peacefully for decades to get the vote for women and only when she realised that the government had no intention of ever giving in she resorted to violent tactics. As wrong as that is, the behaviour of the government was appalling too. Instead than negotiating, the government kept tricking women by promising to give them the vote at some distant time that never arrived or by pretendeing to introduce a suffrage bill they knew they weren’t gonna pass anyway, forcefully threw women out of meetings for asking questions, trampled over their rights to petition, put them in jail for very minor offences and forced-fed them (which was a very dangerous and painful treatment) when they hungerstricked…

Some members of Parliament even hinted that women hadn’t got the vote yet because they hadn’t revolted or committed any violent acts like men do when they’re fighting for something, so it was only to be expected that some women would follow that advice. But, unlike men, when women started fires or committed any violent acts, they paid attention never to hurt anyone (although of course there was always the risk someone would get injured or even die). Overall, this book, which is written in a very engaging style, will give you a real insight into the social and political situation of the time and what women had to go through to get the vote. It will make you sympathize with the unsympathetic and ensure you’ll never take your vote for granted again. If you’re interested, you can read it for free at Project Gutenberg.

The Links

Derm TV shares the top 10 reasons to exfoliate.

Spark Notes reminds us that men prefer compatibility to hotness.

Temptalia explains how to beautify your skin during the holidays.

Lab Muffin explains how to make your own DIY lipstick.

Chemists Corner explains why lead in lipstick stories will never go away.

Sunday Survey, Vol.132

1. Where do you do your Christmas shopping?
This year, I’ve bought most of my Christmas gifts online, mainly because what I wanted wasn’t available in my little town. But I’ll buy more and more gifts online in the future. You can find some very interesting stuff online and at very good prices too.

I haven’t decided yet, but I was thinking a green/gold combo on the eyes and a sheer red lipstick.

3. What did you have for breakfast?
Tea and a slice of panettone. Yummy. I love the holidays! ;)

4. Real or fake Christmas tree?
I have a fake one, which I’ve owned for several years now. I love that it can be reused over and over again and is less messy.

5. What do you think of Christmas compilation albums?
There are way too many around!

It’s your turn now!
1. Where do you do your Christmas shopping?
3. What did you have for breakfast?
4. Real or fake Christmas tree?
5. What do you think of Christmas compilation albums?

Comments

1. Where do you do your Christmas shopping?
    I also did a lot of mine online this year, but I also shop around brick & mortar stores. I was able to redeem collectors’ points at a drugstore which shaved a chunk off my spending.

Probably just a neutral eye and maybe red lipstick.

3. What did you have for breakfast?
    Honey Nut Cheerios in almond milk.

4. Real or fake Christmas tree?
    Growing up, we always had a fake tree. This year is the first year I’ve had a tree with my husband, and it’s a little 4 foot fake one. I think real ones are nice, but yeah, they are messy and then you have to throw it out :(

5. What do you think of Christmas compilation albums?
    Dislike. I don’t really like Christmas music!

Merry Christmas, Gio!
    eight´s last blog post ..One Hand Washes the Other Black Magic Exfoliating Scrub Review, PhotosMy Profile

Eight, I’m glad you were able to buy presents with a discount! And I like your Christmas look. Simple but festive.

Thanks. Merry Christmas to you too!

2. Viv says

1. Where do you do your Christmas shopping?
    Almost exclusively on-line – just not enough hours in the day to do otherwise! Also, our local shops aren’t particularly great.

Not too much/elaborate. No-one would really appreciate what I do!! Probably a nice shiny red holo nail polish though, and possibly something from my new Sleek Sparkle 2 palette – just for me really!
    3. What did you have for breakfast?
    Tea and a slice of toast. Fairly usual. Can’t do anything until I’ve had my tea in the morning!
    4. Real or fake Christmas tree?
    Real. Though the needles do annoy me! The children love it though, and love to decorate it (and the house) each year with things that they’ve made – we have a lovely collection of ornaments that we’ve made between us over the year.
    5. What do you think of Christmas compilation albums?
    OK, but you really only need one! I’ve got one on my iTunes from a few years back, and that will suffice!

Happy a wonderful Christmas!

Viv x

Viv, I agree that shopping online really saves a lot of time. And you can find a lot of stuff on there that’s not available locally.

And how lovely that you and your children make your own decorations. That must make decorating the house all the more special.

Thank you and I hope you had a lovely Christmas as well!

I am now reading “To Kill a Mockingbird”.
    1. Where do you do your Christmas shopping? I get a lot of things on-line and some in various shops.
    2. What makeup look are you going to wear on Christmas day? And if you don’t celebrate it, do you wear a special look on Sundays or go makeup-free instead? I usually dress up for NY’s party but also try to look my best at Christmas.
    3. What did you have for breakfast? omelette with salmon and spinach.
    4. Real or fake Christmas tree? I love real trees but I have a fake one for years now.
    5. What do you think of Christmas compilation albums? They can be nice actually.
    Marina(Makeup4all)´s last blog post ..Jouer Lip Enhancer Conditioning Lip Treatment ReviewMy Profile

Marina, I agree with you that Christmas compilation albums can be really nice and put you in a festive mood. It’s just that there are so many of them around these days! I don’t think you need more than one or two really. :)

4. Janessa says

I love the Cle de Peau travel kit and the owl ring! I didn’t know about the store Accessorize. I’m going to check it out :D!
    My, Giorgia is such an accomplished woman! (haha I learned that from P&P). I like that you present all the books you read, with us. It’s wonderful you love history; I bet you’ve learnt tons from reading about history- our whole world is history. :]
    1. ~97% online, the rest in stores. I don’t intentionally plan to buy gifts in-store, I just happen to pick up gifts while wandering about the mall.
    2. Oo! I am going to highlight my cheekbone with champagne,
    use raspberry blush,
    wear sparkly plum lipgloss,
    line my upper lashline with dark brown liner and set with shadow
    I may add a glitter liquid eyeliner
    I rarely do eyemakeup for day-to-day wear and I’m not heading out anywhere extravagant so it’ll spare me some time in the evening. :D
    3. Toast with avocado and cheddar cheese, yogurt and two kinds of cereal with milk, a granola bar, chocolate chip and sugar cookies I freshly baked.
    4. Real! I will always choose a real Christmas tree over a fake one if I have the option. The scent is so lovely and really adds to my Christmas spirit.
    5. I think they’re a good way to start a Christmas song collection but I’d rather buy each song individually.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! <3 Hope you have (or had) a wonderful day.

Janessa, aww thank you! *blushes* History books are my favourites. You really learn a lot from them and they help you understand how the many problems started and developed.

What a festive look you’re wearing and your breakfast sounds scrumptious!

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too! I had a lovely Christmas. I hope you had a wonderful day as well.