Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.52

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re ready for some more random ramblings. Here we go:

The Young Victoria

Although I love history, there aren’t many historical movies I like as they rarely are accurate and just make up and change way too many things to suit the plot. And while that can sometimes make for a good movie, it’s just irritating when you actually know how things happened. The Young Victoria instead, which tells the story of the first years of the Queen’s reign and her love for her husband Albert (on whom I’ve always had a massive crush) is, apart from some small details and a completely made-up event at the end, pretty accurate. The movie also portrays a part of Victoria’s life not many are familiar with. We remember her as a sombre widow, but she was actually a very lively, passionate and warm woman, especially in her younger years. It’s good that people are finally getting to see this side of her. The acting is excellent too (Emily Blunt, who plays Queen Victoria is one of my favourite actresses) and the clothes and the settings are just gorgeous.. absolutely gorgeous. You do have to watch it and if you have already, watch it again. ;)

What I’m Reading Now

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. I have a love/hate relationship with science fiction books. On one hand, I love them because they make me think, which is what any good book should do, but on the other they always make me uneasy and creep me out. And this book is no exception. A nameless narrator meets The Illustrated Man, who has tattoos all over his body. Only that his tattoos change, move and tell a lot of different stories. Although there are a couple of duds, most of the stories are captivating and grim. They are all unrelated to one another, but discuss the same themes, such as our use of technology, our search for happiness, atom wars and alien invasions.. They are also all well-written and well-worth a read.

The Links

Future Derm shows us what surfactants do.

While you’re there, check out this post on whether peptides work or not.

Jenny Sue Makeup shares the secret to a do a beautiful neutral look.

Ask Me Whats shares her favourite liquid eyeliners.

Ask An Esthetician discusses the risks of over-exfoliation.

Sunday Survey, Vol.131

1. How many cell phones do you have?
Only one.

2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving?
Nope, and I never will. And you shouldn’t either. It’s dangerous!

3. What picture is on your calender this month?
A close-up of a cute cat staring at me, over a red background.

4. Hula hoop or jump rope?
Jump rope. But only because I can’t hula hoop lol!

5. What do you think of Topshop?
I used to be a big fan of the brand, but lately the quality of their clothes has gone downhill, while their prices keep increasing. Also, I feel like they are trying too hard to be fashionable and edgy and, as a result, a lot of their designs are difficult to wear (when they’re not obvious knock-offs) and don’t appeal to me at all.

It’s your turn now!
1. How many cell phones do you have?
2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving?
3. What picture is on your calender this month?
4. Hula hoop or jump rope?
5. What do you think of Topshop?

Comments

1. How many cell phones do you have? Two :)
    2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving? While driving never…but while I was in the car with someone else, yes (mascara and lipgloss)
    3. What picture is on your calender this month? I don’t have a calendar :)
    4. Hula hoop or jump rope? Jump Rope …because I never tried hula hoop :)
    5. What do you think of Topshop? I don’t own anything from Topshop….
    Tavia´s last blog post ..Shiny Winter Makeup with Parisax, Rouge Bunny Rouge & MUFEMy Profile

Tavia, as long as you’re not driving, it’s ok to apply makeup in the car. Although as clumsy as I am, I’m not sure I’d do a great job at that lol.

Oh, I adore Emily Blunt, I have seen everything with her. It’s a shame that most people know her because of Devil Wear Prada, not my favourite role.
    As for the books, I am not sure which one to start reading now, just added 10 new books on my kindle :)

1. How many cell phones do you have? right now one.
    2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving? no, but I often apply in in the cab.
    3. What picture is on your calender this month? old Europe
    4. Hula hoop or jump rope? I rarely do both but I’d say hula hoop.
    5. What do you think of Topshop? I love/have a lot of their clothes.
    Marina(Makeup4all)´s last blog post ..this works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray ReviewMy Profile

Marina, I loved Emily in The Devil Wears Prada, but she really shines in other roles such as Queen Victoria. People should see her in those too I agree.

1. How many cell phones do you have?
    – only one!

2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving?
    – i have! but only like foundation, blusher and lippie. I can’t do liner/mascara in a moving car or when i am driving

3. What picture is on your calender this month?
    – it is an illustration of family watching movie together

4. Hula hoop or jump rope?
    – hula hoop

5. What do you think of Topshop?
    – rather pricey for the quality i get
    xin´s last blog post ..How I survived months without facial and feeling better than ever + December skincare routineMy Profile

XIn, aww the image on your calendar sounds lovely. And please don’t apply anything while driving, it’s dangerous. But if you’re not driving, then applying makeup is ok, although I agree it’s be hard to put on mascara and eyeliner. :)

4. Janessa says

‘I’m ready for ramblings’ I thought, when reading the first sentence. :]
    Seeing the men, I thought of Pride and Prejudice. Those sideburns, that hair! I’m going to watch this movie :D I thought it came out recently when I was reading about it. Good thing it’s already out on DVD so I don’t have to watch it in theaters.

Hm, what a cool story. I’m reading more thanks to you!

1. One
    2. Nope and never!
    3. I don’t have a calendar but I like them. I just usually forget to turn them.
    4. :P This is a difficult choice.. I choose jump rope because I know how to play more games with it.
    5. It seems like the Europe version of Forever21 and all the “mall” stores. I’ve never shopped there but I was slightly interested in their store for a while. Now that I’ve read your opinion, I’ve lost interest. I’m into stores that carry unique and good-quality clothing. I really love vintagey and delicate, flowy pieces and most brands (especially ones that create clothing for every trend) just don’t do it. Like makeup, I’d rather have less, but nicer pieces.

side comment: :D While I’ve spent so much on makeup and beauty-related products thanks to the beauty web-world, I’m entirely grateful for it.

Janessa, I agree that it’s best to have a few nice pieces than a lot of so-so ones. And we seem to have similar tastes too. I’m into unique (but not weird hehe), vintagey stuff that’s also feminine but it’s not so easy to find them in shops when you live in a small town. Thank goodness for the internet!

5. Janessa says

I’m going to check out Top Shop (USA) right now. Online, of course.

The items are pricey! I’d only spend that much if I knew the quality was excellent since a lot of the pieces look dupeable and not that unique.
    I was on a clothing love for a few months but I think that’s died down to the point where I only want really unique pieces.
    But right now, I have zero interest in shopping haha. I can’t believe that. I’ve had far enough shopping this holiday season for friends, family, and myself that I am sick of it.

Janessa, they are pricey indeed. Too pricey for what you get especially because a lot of their pieces are dupable.

I hope you had fun on your shopping spree and enjoy your well-needed break from it now. As much as I love shopping, I find that a lot of shops do tend to carry similar stuff so after a while, it becomes quite boring. At least until the new collections hit the shops. :)

1. 2, one is for my current number. The other for my old SIM card just in case people with my old number try to contact me.

2. Yes, but it’s lipstick usually.

3. Errr, not applicable. Lol!

4. Hula hoop

5. I used to like Topshop clothes but now I find most of their designs are a bit too ‘funky’ for my taste. May be I am getting old….
    Vonvon´s last blog post ..Things I Bought With My Boots No7 £5 Vouchers & Some Inflation Ranting Along The Way!My Profile

Vonvon, I find a lot of Topshop designs too “funky” too but I don’t think that’s all down to age. I think they are really trying so hard to be cool that, as a result, their pieces are just weird-looking and hard to wear. Truth be told, I wouldn’t have liked them nor worn them even 10 years ago.

I really enjoyed that movie. I saw it recently & I too get easily anoyed when the story is “wrong”. I remember a movie where Peter the Great was standing in front of a palace built by Gatherine the Great who ruled… 37 years after him!

1. None, when I need one I use my daughter’s phone.
    2. Never.
    3. No calendar at the moment.
    4. Jump rope. I can’t hula hoop either!
    5. We don’t have that here. If it’s like Forever 21 as mentioned by Janessa, I think it’s fine for my daughter but I haven’t seen anything that interested me so far. Based on that, I guess I would pass.
    Icaria´s last blog post ..M.A.C. Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Dipdown / ReviewMy Profile

Icaria, I hate it when they make mistakes like that! Would it really be that hard to check? But I guess that makes you appreciate good movies like The Young Victoria even more.

8. Viv says

1. How many cell phones do you have?
    I have one for myself, but we have a ‘spare’ in our house for when one of the children loses their phone, or it’s out of charge when needed – it gets quite a bit of use!

2. Have you ever applied makeup while driving?
    3. What picture is on your calender this month?
    I don’t use a calendar – have google calendar that ‘syncs’ to my Blackberry.
    4. Hula hoop or jump rope?
    Either. Not good at either anymore though!!!!!
    5. What do you think of Topshop?
    When I was of an age to shop their it was good – now it’s my daughter’s turn, and they seem to be expensive for what they are. She prefers New Look or Primark for basics.

Viv x

Viv, what a great idea to have a spare phone for emergencies!

And I much prefer Primark too. Their stuff is better value for money. Topshop has become very expensive indeed.