When Being Skinny Wasn’t Glamorous

Believe it or not, there was a time when skinny was out and curvy was in. It was a curvylicious figure that women coveted up until a few decades ago and companies like Wate-On sold products that promised to help them achieve just that. Here a few of their ads.

While it is refreshing to see a different body type that doesn’t include bones sticking out being portrayed as attractive, it is also sad to realise that women were never satisfied with their bodies. Worse, there have always been people willing and ready to capitalize on their insecurities to make a quick buck.

When will we finally learn to love and accept our bodies the way they are?

Image Source: 1, 2

Comments

When? Never! Society dictates what we’re suppose to look like. From Rubens’ planturous models to Twiggy and now with Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashians, the “it” girl is what every woman, sadly, wants to look like. I just wish they could bottle maturity so we could have our daughters drink it. It would help avoid so many tears. A good injection of self-confidence is what every one needs!
    Icaria´s last blog post ..Winter Lips!My Profile

Icaria, unfortunately I’m afraid you’re right. Every society will always have and promote its ideal of beauty, but I can’t help but hope that women will stop believing they have to look that way at all costs. It would be wonderful indeed if self-confidence could be bottled. It would solve, even avoid, so many problems!

Am I the only one who still thinks those girls are really skinny? If that was putting on weight, then hell, they needed it. Try solid food. :P Those ‘supplements’ were basically protein bars/shakes.

What we really need is an advert campaign focused on being healthy, not being a certain weight or dress size. That stuff lies, anyways! I weigh more than ever, but I’m skinnier than ever… because I have a tonne of muscle. I used to weigh less but I was a bigger size because fat takes up a lot of space for the same amount of weight. And I was definitely not healthy like that. Poor eating will do that to a person!
    BebeTaian´s last blog post ..Lotions: the Good, the Bad, the Meh.My Profile

BebeTaian, I agree that those girls are quite skinny, but at least they aren’t anorexic-looking like many celebs nowadays.

And I completely agree that we need to focus on being healthy. Unfortunately lots of people these days associate that with being skinny. They also don’t realize how weigh works, which just makes everything works. Weigh can be deceiving indeed.

3. Janessa says

Gio! This saddens me very much. I have several I love who struggle with ED and I feel so helpless. Those women look tons lovelier than the rail-thin bodies of today. I love that you shared this bit of history with us. I didn’t even know a time existed when thin wasn’t in.
    Weight is just how much our bodies are pulled down by gravity. ;]
    I believe it is so important to also show healthy beauty through influential blogs like these. Intelligence and good-nature are essential for beautiful (not pretty) and you are the example.

Janessa, I’m so sorry to hear that. ED are terrible illnesses and unfortunately they are becoming so common. I hope your loved ones will get better soon.

Aww thanks and I agree with you that it’s very important that we finally start to focus on a healthy, not thin, image. I hope that posts like these will help people realise that, and that more and more bloggers will address these issues in the future.

Kuri, I’m glad you found the post interesting. And I agree. It seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same after all..