Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.50

Hello everyone,

it’s that time of the week again. Yep, time for some random ramblings. Here we go:

Angels

Robbie Williams is one of my favourite pop singers, mainly because he is one of the few who actually has something to say. I was eagerly awaiting his new album and it didn’t disappoint. But today I want to leave you with an old classic, Angels. Enjoy!

What I’m Reading Now

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Charlie is a mentally disabled adult that, thanks to an experimental operation, becomes a genius. The story is narrated by the protagonist in a series of progress reports, through which we can witness his mental progress. The first reports are in fact very simple, quite short and full of grammatical and spelling errors, but as his intelligence increases, they become longer, and extremely well-written. However, his story is a very tragic one. Charlie may now be a genius, but emotionally, he’s still a child. Moreover, now that he is more clever than those around him, their attitude towards him begins to change, not always for the better, and he starts feeling increasingly lonely. Flowers For Algernon is one of those books that stays with you forever. It teaches us that intelligence without humanity isn’t worth much and, by showing us the world through the eyes of a mentally disable person, challenges us to examine the way we treat these people. I highly recommend it to everyone. (P.S. in case, you’re wondering, Algernon is a mouse who underwent the same operation as Charlie and thus became a genius too).

The Links

My Funny Valentine warns against the dangers of cosmetic coloured contact lenses.

The Beauty Brains wonders if duochrome nail polishes can become monochrome over time.

Ask Me Whats shares an eyeshadow tutorial for hooded lids.

Now Smell This shares 50 masculine fragrances every perfumista should try.

Over at Future Derm, dermatologist Cynthia Bailey shares skincare tips for women over 60.

Sunday Survey, Vol.129

1. How old were you when you learned to use a computer?
About 11. When I was a child, not many households had a computer, and I learned to use one only at my Junior High School. And it took me years after that to convince my parents to buy me a computer. Gosh, I’m really showing my age now, aren’t I?

2. Have you tried airbrushed makeup?
Nope, I’ve never had the chance, but I’d love to.

3. Do you watch TV during meals?
I pretty much only watch tv when I’m having lunch and dinner. At the moment, I’m either watching the news or reruns of Charmed and Project Runway.

4. Zara or H&M?
Budget-wise, H&M. But Zara has better designs.

5. What do you think of onesies?
Only babies should wear them!

It’s your turn now!
1. How old were you when you learned to use a computer?
2. Have you tried airbrushed makeup?
3. Do you watch TV during meals?
4. Zara or H&M?
5. What do you think of onesies?

Comments

1. How old were you when you learned to use a computer? I am not sure but they were huge back then lol
    2. Have you tried airbrushed makeup? not yet, unfortunately.
    3. Do you watch TV during meals? I don’t watch TV at all.
    4. Zara or H&M? Oh, this is a hard question. I like both.
    5. What do you think of onesies? I would never ever wear it and agree with you.
    Marina(Makeup4All)´s last blog post ..YSL Arty Stone Makeup Collection for Spring 2013My Profile

Marina, they were huge indeed. Just the monitor of my old computer used to take up half the space on my desk lol.

1. How old were you when you learned to use a computer? :)) I’m laughing because I had fail IT class two times in purpose when I was in high school so I can convince my parents to buy me a PC. My main purpose was to play games but also to learn some useful stuff. So I just turned 17 back then. :) You put a smile on my face with this question because you made me remember all of my efforts to get a PC :)) It was allll worth it :))
    2. Have you tried airbrushed makeup? Nope
    3. Do you watch TV during meals? I never (OK rarely 1 time a month probably) watch TV. :)
    4. Zara or H&M? H&M all the way for me! :)I never find anything that I like at Zara. Only two times I bought 2 pair of black simple leggings and that was it. I also like Pimkie a lot, there is always something there for me. These are my “low cost” options. :)
    5. What do you think of onesies? I never liked them as a child so hell I wouldn’t wear them now :)
    Tavia´s last blog post ..Shiseido Spring 2013 Perfect Rouge – Official Info & PhotosMy Profile

Tavia, I’m glad I put a smile on your face. Kids take computers for granted now because most households have them, but back then it was really hard to convince parents to buy you one. I wanted it to play games too but I told my parents I would use it mainly for school. And even then it took years before they gave in. :)

Pimkie makes some lovely clothes too. :)

3. Janessa says

Gasp. The song is beautiful! I LOVE this kind of music and this has to be my favorite type of music even though I will listen to all sorts. I’ve read Flowers to Algernon in my 8th grade class since it was a requirement. I watched the movie too and its sad. :[
    Hooray! I finally read a book that you've read, too.
    1. I was probably 7 when I first used a computer. I don't even remember what I did on it. I know when I was about 9, I started playing computer games.
    2. Yes, when I went to IMATS, a lady from TEMPTU put on full-face makeup for me. I could feel particles sprayed on my face and I thought it'd feel cool (refreshing) on my skin but it doesn't. Aren't the particles bad for you to breath in?
    3. Nope, I don't even watch TV. I haven't been consistently watching TV for four years.
    4. Zara! :] I just wait for sales and I find some lovely pieces I can actually own.
    5. They look silly and very infant-like. On adults, they seem like costumes.

Janessa, I’m glad you like the song too and it’s a very sad book indeed. It’s a shame it’s not a requirement in Italian classes too because it is such a powerful book that could really teach a lot to students.

I guess it depends on the particles, but I really would try not to breathe in, just in case. :)

Ana, what a cool question! And I’m with you on the Medieval Illuminations, although the Baroque Era would offer some interesting possibilities too… :)

I remember the movie Charlie, & it made me sad.
    1. around 17 (my daughter started at 2, times have changed).
    2. Nope!
    3. Rarely & there are no tv in dining room / kitchen (Charmed was a cute show!)
    4. I don’t know of Zara but H & M sometimes has some nice affordable items.
    5. Same as you, only on babies.
    Icaria´s last blog post ..My favorite blogs / Part 2My Profile

5. Lily says

1. How old were you when you learned to use a computer?
    – About 7-8 years old. I was born in the early 90’s so I barely remember a time before the Internet. A little strange to think about.

2. Have you tried airbrushed makeup?
    – No

3. Do you watch TV during meals?
    – I rarely watch TV, so no.

4. Zara or H&M?
    – There’s no Zara where I live. I like that H&M isn’t so expensive, but I rarely find anything I like there.

5. What do you think of onesies?
    – They were quite popular here 2-3 years ago, but now not so much. I think the trend might have been spread overseas from my country. Either way, I’m not a fan of them.

Lily, I hope the onesies trend will last little here. It’s not that big in my country yet, but yet it is an awful fashion!