Know Your Ingredients: PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil

Castor-Oil_Plant

What it is
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is a white paste derived from Castor Oil.

What it does
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is a surfactant: it helps water mix with oil and dirt so that they can be rinsed away, leaving skin and hair clean.

Side effects
PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil is usually used in concentrations between 0,5% and 10%, at which it is generally considered to be safe.

(Source:cosmeticscop.com)

Comments

1. Janessa says

I see this one a lot. I didn’t know it’s a white paste though, and I can definitely remember this one. :]
    I learn something useful everyday from you!

2. Janessa says

Happy first day of December, Gio! Even though it’s the 2nd where you are, it’s still the 1st where I am so well, happy beginning of December!

3. Regn says

Thanks for sharing! I see Hydrogenated Castor Oil everywhere and I thought it was supposed to be hydrating, not cleansing. I’m a tiny bit smarter thanks to you :)

Just few days back I was wondering about PEG 40 hydrogenated castor oil. I’ve read that word loads of times in my serums and other skin care products, but was not aware about its work. But this PEG 60 one, is it found in shampoos or facial cleansers?
    shruti´s last blog post ..Lust List for Christmas Month!My Profile

5. Queenie says

Thanks for enlightening us. I would like to know what does peg/ ppg 17/6 do in skin as well? Since I found it on a skin cream.

• Queenie says

Very good article. Thanks Gio. I wanna know if pegs ppgs can make me get more wrinkles. Sometimes we use skincare products that promise us to reduce our wrinkles. They DO contain good ingredients but they do not really seem to be effective as they said cos they use mineral oils or peg ppg compounds in their products, so its like curing on onebhand but also defective on the other hand.

• Gio says

Frankly, I’ve never heard of pegs or ppgs causing wrinkles. And neither does mineral oil. Some people don’t like it because it creates a barrier on the skin rather than sinking into it, but that’s not necessarily bad for you. If you have dry skin, this barrier will prevent water from evaporating, and helping to keep skin hydrated. But yeah, it’s not as beneficial as retinoids or vitamins, which can do wonders for the skin.