Know Your Ingredients: Bisabolol

Bisabolol

What it is
Bisabolol can be derived from the German chamomile plant or made synthetically in a lab.

What it does
Bisabolol is an anti-irritant that soothes skin. It can also make dry and damaged skin look supple and smooth, and reduces flakiness.
In addition, it can enhance the penetration of other ingredients and can even be used to impart a certain fragrance to a product.

Side effects
Although rare, allergies to Bisabolol can occur.

(Sources: cosmeticsinfo.org and International Journal of Therapeutics, 1991)

Comments

1. Janessa says

Funny word. So is there any way to know if it’s natural or synthetic on the ingredients list? That goes for any natural and artificially-made same ingredient.

Anything else you’d like for the holidays? You can just list a bunch of things and I’ll pick from there. If not, I’ll surprise you but a place to start is always helpful.
    All you do for me and helped me is worth more than little packages. You deserve every bit of them :]. I’m good to people I respect and well, I look up to you!

Janessa, unfortunately no. Most ingredients are artificially-made even when they can be derived from plants because it costs less so I always assume that’s their origin unless otherwise stated. Only some organic brands sometimes add the source on the ingredient list. For instance you can find on the label, Glycerin (from vegetable source).

Oh dear, there are so many things I’d like from the States, but I wouldn’t wanna be greedy. But if you really need a place to start, some Bath & Body Works and Wet n Wild stuff is always appreciated. ;)

Aww thank you! You’re always so nice. I’m glad I can give you something back too. :)

2. Jim says

You mentioned that, in “rare” cases…an allergy could develop from the use of Bisabolol…… could be a little more specific, an give an idea at least.. of what kind of allergy “could” develop?? I only look this up because it’s in the toothpaste we’re using (from Natures Gate), and it’s an ingredient that i’m not familiar with.

Also, I appreciate your comment in regards to organic -vs- synthetic (mfg’d) compounds…which of course (in terms of “vitamins”) is NEVER healthy for our bodies… and in fact, can & do… produce il-health… even fatal.

Thank You for your site, information and time….
    Have a Wonderful and Blessed day.

Sincerely,
    Jim

Jim, allergies develop when the immune system has an exaggerated reaction to a substance it has come in contact with. And when that happens, it causes rushes, itching, swelling.. This reaction is called exaggerated because it doesn’t cause any side effects in the vast majority of people that is exposed to it. Pretty much any substance you come in contact with could potentially cause an allergic reaction, but it’s rare that any do. If you’ve been using a substance without experiencing any side effects, then there is no reason to stop.

And thank you for your nice wishes. Have a wonderful day!

3. Dragon Lady says

I too have been using a tooth paste from nature’s gate containing biasbolol. Loved it, but shortly after using it I developed a rash that started behind my ears and I noticed my glands in my throat were swollen. Still could not figure out what was causing it. I narrowed down any new products I was using, just this week, who would have thought my “natural” tooth paste would cause such an uncomfortable experience over the last 3 months. Stopped using the product 3 days ago and the rash is better already. I’ll let you know if I continue to improve our if I’m completely off base, but pretty sure I found the culprit.

Dragon Lady, that’s awful! I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, natural products aren’t always better. Some natural ingredients are irritating or cause allergies too. But I hope you’ve managed to find the culprit. Please, keep me updated.

I used Fx Cover foundation which lists bisabol as the 1st ingredient. My nose became red and swollen and broke out probably because of the bisabol. Too bad since this foundation is listed as paraben-free, gluten-free, talc- free, fragrance-free, and mineral-oil-free.

Does anyone know of a medium-full coverage foundation that’s toxin-free and good for sensitive skin, especially rosacea?

• Gio says

Sara, I’m sorry the FX Cover foundation didn’t work for you? Have you tried mineral makeup? Those foundations usually contain just a bunch of ingredients and provide good coverage.