4 Tips To Make The Most Of Your Shower

We all know how to shower. It’s something we do daily. We take our clothes off, get in the shower, get wet, lather up, rinse off and dry ourselves with a towel. It’s a simple ritual that enables us to start the day relaxed and invigorated, especially if you know how to make the most out of it. Here’s how:

1. Take short, lukewarm showers

I really struggle with this. I find taking long showers with really hot water very relaxing, but unfortunately it is no good for skin, which feels very dry afterwards. That’s because hot water can strip the natural oils that keep your skin moisturized, causing dryness. So these days I use lukewarm water instead, which feels comfortable, and try to limit my shower time to less than 15 minutes. This will also avoid wasting too much water and save you time in the mornings.

2. Exfoliate

Keep your exfoliating products in the shower and use them twice a week. The best time to exfoliate, in fact, is in the shower. Your skin is already soft and no presoak is necessary. Just massage the scrub into your skin, slough away all those dead skin cells on the surface and rinse off. This will not only make your skin brighter and smoother, but it will help you save time as well.

3. Shampoo your hair before washing your face

The reason behind this is quite obvious, yet it took me a while to figure out this was the best way to proceed lol. By washing your hair first, you make sure that the ingredients in your shampoo and the dirt they’re rinsing away don’t end up on your just cleansed face. Also, don’t use the water jet from the shower head directly on your face as the water pressure can damage skin. So after shampooing, collect some water in your hands and use it to wash your face.

4. Moisturize

As mentioned above, showering can dry out our skin. So once you’ve stepped out of the shower, dry your skin with a soft towel and slather on some rich body lotion to replenish the moisture your skin has lost.

How do you make the most of your shower?

Source

Comments

Ahh. Guilty of long and hot showers. Too good to resist! Yes I do all my exfoliation in the shower. After I’ve taking a hot bath I usually splash some really cold water all over, hair, face, body. makes me feel refreshed :) some people say it helps give clearer skin, and healthier hair too :)
    Missy Lois´s last blog post ..D.I.Y: Banana Beer volumnising hair maskMy Profile

Missy Lois, long and hot showers are very nice and relaxing, isn’t it? I try to avoid them these days but sometimes I give in, it just feels so good. I’ve heard that is beneficial too but I couldn’t bring myself to try it yet lol.

2. Fabulous Fabs says

Also, when you’re in the shower, do your shampoo and conditionner/hair mask first. This way, while you do other things, such as exfoliate, wash, shave, etc… you can leave your conditionne or hair mask longer and it will be beneficial for your hair.

BTW 15 minutes is still too long of a shower… It uses too much water, try to cut down to 10 minutes.

Fabulous Fabs, what a great tip.

And that’s a good point. I do worry about how much water I use and I try to keep my shower short, but sometimes you just need a longer, invigorating one, you know?

Nellz, the shower is the perfect time for little beauty rituals and pampering treats, isn’t it?

3. Janessa says

I sometimes do this, but other days I just want a warm, soothing shower: I’ll jump in the shower, get wet, turn off the shower, lather… turn on the shower, rinse. I learned this from an actual camp (like outdoorsy camp haha) when I was 13.
    If I am using a body scrub (or any treat) that day, I’ll turn off the water when I don’t need it and turn it back on when I do.
    I don’t do this all the time but I try to. I don’t take thirty minute showers. Mostly up to 15 minutes if I’m washing my hair too (I have fairly short hair).

Janessa, that’s good that you turn off the water when you don’t need it. Everyone should do that, it’d save a lot of water. :)

Makeup Morsels, it’s really hard to resist taking a hot shower in winter indeed! And you’re welcome. :)