Do You Wash Your Hair Before Going To The Hairdresser?

Are you embarrassed to step outside the house with dirty hair or instead think that washing it before going to the hairdresser is a waste of time as it’s their job to do that anyway? As for me, it depends.

Why I don’t wash my hair before going to the hairdresser

I don’t really like going out with my hair dirty, but if I’m going to have my hair cut, I’ll put up with it. Hairdressers usually wash hair before cutting it, and I don’t really see the point in washing it twice in just a few hours. Besides, having my hair washed by a hairdresser is my favourite part of the whole salon experience. They don’t just wash your hair, but also give your scalp a nice massage, which is so relaxing!

It is also true that, because my hair is oily and gets dirty quickly, I wash it every other day anyway, so, when I go to the salon, my locks are usually a bit greasy but not so much as to be disgusting. I may sometimes wear my hair in a ponytail or in a messy bun so that no one will notice the state it’s in. And no, I’m not embarrassed to let hair stylists see my hair dirty as I suppose they know the only reason why I didn’t bothered to wash it is because they’re gonna do it, and not because I’m a slob. If yours gives you a funny look or something, it’s time to change stylist.

Why you should wash your hair before going to the hairdresser

However, I usually book my appointments early in the morning, so I can face the day with clean, newly cut and beautiful hair. If your appointment is in the late afternoon and during the day you’re running errands, have an important job meeting or interview, then I can understand why you’d feel embarrassed and prefer to wash your hair before you go to the salon. You don’t want to give a potential employee or important client the wrong impression, do you?

There is also another case in which it’s best to wash hair before you go to the salon and that’s when you’re having your hair dyed with a semi-permanent colour. This is especially important for those who use lots of styling products on their locks. That’s because the product buildup and grease on your hair may prevent the semi-permanent dye, which unlike the permanent type doesn’t penetrate inside the hair shaft, from coating your strands evenly, resulting in a patchy application. And that’s not a good look is it?

What about you? Do you wash your hair before going to the hairdresser?

Comments

No, I usually don’t. I’ve never had my hair colored, I only ever get it cut. Since I know they’ll wash it anyways, I just let them do it! Besides I only ever get my hair cut in Taiwan now, and it’s so humid here I end up washing my hair every night. It’s pointless to wash my hair between the previous night and the next afternoon.
    Makeup Morsels´s last blog post ..Dermelect Pore Revolution & T-Zone Mattifier ReviewMy Profile

Usually not (I love the scalp massage, too!), but it’s usually not that greasy either – when it is, it’s hard to see what I want to be done with it.

I let them wash my hair as they do a much better job than me. Here in Vietnam, they give you a scalp massage, a mini facial, and a shoulder massage as well. There’s no way I can match that at home. But it’s such a luxury since I don’t go to hair salons that often so I have to enjoy it.
    Dao´s last blog post ..My Weird BehaviorMy Profile

Dao, I’d love to visit a hair salon in Vietnam if you’re getting all that, lucky you! I can see why you would want to have your hair washed there then! :)

Nope! My hairdresser washes my hair wonderfully for me! :] It’s like a treat and even she tells me there’s no point in washing my hair prior to my appointment. I won’t have a computer for the next two days :[ so I can’t go on your blog!! :[ I am going up to sand dunes and forest and hikes. :D

Janessa, I agree. No point in washing it twice especially when the hairdressers do it better. :)

And have a great time! :)

• says

The hikes were exhausting! Haha I was the only one with long sleeve and pants… and people kept asking me if I was too hot or why I wore it. I just told them I wanted to. I feel awkward being so pale amongst my tan group.

Now you all are going to scream but I actually cut my hair myself….
    My hair is just supercurly and I figure if it turns out to be a bit uneven, it still not going to show!!! Plus I’m into the No-Poo method and have yet to find a hairdresser that practice this method!
    Phlox
    EyeGraffiti´s last blog post ..Sleek Blush in ScandalousMy Profile

Phlox, I could never cut my hair myself. It’s fine and straight and any uneveness would show straight away. But I think it makes sense in your case. :)