Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.24

Hello everyone,

here are this weeks’ random ramblings:

Blogs We Love: Ikea Hackers

If you have never heard of Ikea Hackers before, you should take a look at it now. The site is “about modifications on and repurposing of Ikea products” and is full of ideas on how to spice up your Ikea purchases. Whether you want to embellish that very simple and boring wardrobe, or use a piece of furniture for a different purpose, here you’ll find lots of tips on how to do it. Some of the hacks are very simple, others quite complicated, but they will all help you add a personal touch to your house. And if you know of a hack that’s not mentioned on the website yet, you can submit it! So, what are you waiting for? Go check out Ikea Hackers now!

What I’m Reading Now

The town by Leigh Hunt. One of my favourite places for free ebooks is Google Books. There are lots of old books that have been long forgotten but thanks to Google Books we can enjoy them again. One such book is The Town by Leigh Hunt. Written in 1859, it is about the history of London. Every chapter covers an era of the city, letting you know how it looked and evolved through the ages, plus lots of interesting tidbits about its monument and its people. If you like this sort of thing, this book is a must read. And even though the language is a bit archaic obviously, it is really easy to follow and not boring at all!

The Links

Hair Romance explains how to create a twisted ponytail.

British Beauty Blogger wonders if pro-blogging is for you?

Makeup And Beauty Blog reviews NYX Illuminating Bronzers.

Derm TV explains what to look for in sunscreens for children, infants and toddlers.

Viva Woman shares skincare tips for air travel.

And lastly, a shameless plug! :) If you understand Italian, check out my post on how to apply skincare products properly at Tentazione Makeup.

Sunday Survey, Vol.24

1. Do you wear a hat in summer?
Only when I go to the beach or know I will spend a lot of time outdoors, which is very rare. I’m an indoors type of person even in summer lol. But I’m starting to like hats a lot so I may buy a couple to wear all year round.

2. What was the last beauty product you bought?
Pupa Mascara Vamp, which promises a false lashes effect. I’ve read rave reviews about it on Italian blogs, so I hope it will work well for me too. I will let you know how it goes.

3. What are you wearing on your toenails at the moment?
Esprit Color Last Nail Polish in Rose Passion, a bright red with pink undertones.

4. Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals?
Swarovski crystals. They’re more expensive, but also more sparkly and pretty.

5. What do you think of Violent Lips?
I think their lips tattoos are very fun and cool, but I’m not sure I’d have the guts to wear them, unless I was going to a fancy dress party or something like that.

It’s your turn now!
1. Do you wear a hat in summer?
2. What was the last beauty product you bought?
3. What are you wearing on your toenails at the moment?
4. Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals?
5. What do you think of Violent Lips?

Comments

1. Do you wear a hat in summer? When I am on the beach
    2. What was the last beauty product you bought? Clarins face wash
    3. What are you wearing on your toenails at the moment? Orly Rock-It
    4. Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals? non
    5. What do you think of Violent Lips? I love the idea and want to try them!
    Marina(Makeup4All)´s last blog post ..Best Spring 2012 Post at Makeup4allMy Profile

Marina, violent lips are such a cool concept, aren’t they? I’d love to try them too but I’m not sure where I could wear them to…

Always love your “surveys”!
    1. I do when I’m out in the sun, or at least a bigger hairband or bandana.
    2. Must be a lot from Face Lace, review coming up…
    3. Nothing… yes shame on me!
    4. Swarovski, I’m totally with you on this one
    5. Got tons of them but have yet to try them out. I’m limitless when it comes to wearing daring things…

Phlox
    EyeGraffiti´s last blog post ..Face Teaser…My Profile

Phlox, I saw your haul, it was awesome! Can’t wait to see you wearing them! And Face Lace are cool too, I’m really looking forward to your review..

Google Book is so full of amazing things!
    I am yet to read a whole book on there (not for the lack of want, more for the lack of time), but I can’t wait to dive right in when I get a chance.

Until then, I’ve got the excellent history videos that Lucy Worsley makes with BBC 4.
    EdwardianPromenade started uploading a new mini-series just yesterday, Harlots, Housewives and Heroines – about women during the reign of Charles II of England – and I “reward” myself with an episode when I finish a section for my Chinese finals.

4. beautifulwithbrains says

Ana, I agree about Google Books, it’s full of little gems. I usually download books from there in PDF format and read them on my Kindle. I couldn’t read a whole book on my computer, it’s so uncomfortable!

I love Edwardian Promenade. Both the blog and youtube channels are full of interesting posts and videos. I can spend hours on there! I haven’t been home much this weekend so I hadn’t noticed she posted the Harlots, Housewives and Heroines series yet. That’s great news. I’ve been wanting to see that and will definitely do tomorrow night. Thanks for letting me know. And good luck with your finals!

5. Eileen says

1. I wear a hat walking the dogs, working in the garden, whenever I have to go out on an intensely sunny, hot day.
    2. Most recent purchase was Le Métier de Beauté crème gloss in Cebu.
    3. I’m wearing Chanel’s Delight.
    4. Swarovski of course. I love the abundance of beautiful colors.
    5. Violent Lips? Meh!

Eileen, it’s good that you always wear a hat on very sunny days. I think it’s a must to protect our heads from the sun too and it’s a shame lots of people don’t.

I find the ikea sites very inspiring :D

1. Do you wear a hat in summer? – nope unless i am under extreme exposure of sun
    2. What was the last beauty product you bought? – hair conditioner :D
    3. What are you wearing on your toenails at the moment? – peach nail polish
    4. Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals? – Swarvoski! they are more affordable, and pretty too :D
    5. What do you think of Violent Lips? – some designs are really cool! but i almost have no use for them
    xin´s last blog post ..Taking a Dip in Dior Croisette Edition – Swimming Pool (224)My Profile

Xin, it is very inspiring indeed. It’s full of cool ideas, isn’t it? :)

And I think that wearing a hat when you’re staying under the hot sun for a long time is a must too. :)

You sure do like history! :] I came across this blog a few days ago and it talks about antioxidants and anti-aging everything: http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/
    I think you’d like some of their posts.
    1. Yup I do but mostly a baseball cap. I recently bought a sun hat that’s floppy and wide-brim for an outdoor trip I’m going to. I’d rather look silly than burn.
    2. Korres Blush in #16 Pink. In fact, I just ordered it an hour ago haha.
    3. Nothing. Though I usually go with a light, clean pink.
    4. Swarovski crystals!
    5. I think the idea is cool but not a great product from reviews I’ve read. They are uncomfortable and difficult to apply. But when these first came out, I wanted one so badly.

Janessa, I sure do! History and books are my two other big passions, together with makeup and skincare of course. :) And thanks for sharing that blog, I had never heard of it. I’ll spend the next few evenings checking it out and reading everything. :)

And you wouldn’t look silly with a wide-brimmed hat on. I think those are very cute! :)

• says

Aw, thanks :]. I hope you find some things you like from that blog. I only read a few of his/her posts. I took my test on chemical structures like the stuff you put up on your ingredient of the week and I think I did well! I really enjoyed the chem chapter thanks to you! :D

1. I try to when I am outdoor.

2. Sleek Blush by 3, 3 of them from Superdrug – 3 for 2 offer. But one of them, I realized when I come home to try to take photos, has been swatched! :((((

3. Boots 17 nail polish in Glisten, a golden pink duo chrome.

4. Swarovski crystals.

5. Not really for me.
    Vonvon´s last blog post ..My Birthday LookMy Profile

Vonvon, that was a great deal on the blushes, but what a shame one of them had been swatched! I have a love/hate relationship with Superdrug because while they have some awesome and affordable brands, their testers are always so messy, their counters half empty and they don’t seem to check that customers don’t misuse the products. I hope you’ll be able to change it.

• says

Gio, it’s brand new in box, or so it looked like, and when I checked it instore, it looked fine. Must be the lighting, then when I came home and under natural daylight, I saw those markings! It’s not obvious but yea, it’s there, swatched or scratched!:(
        Vonvon´s last blog post ..My Birthday LookMy Profile

Vonvon, lights in the shops can be so deceiving, can’t they? I’m really sorry this happened to you. It’s incredible that some people think it’s ok to swatch something that’s in a box and then put it back in like nothing has happened! I hope you can return it, otherwise you can always try and sanitize it, but still, these things shouldn’t happen. :(

9. Viv says

1. Do you wear a hat in summer?
    No! I really don’t like hats at any time of the year – I’d rather keep out of the sun :)

2. What was the last beauty product you bought?
    Oops – an expensive one! A couple of Illamasqua powder eye shadows (and a few other bits and pieces that found their way into my basket…) because they came with a ‘free’ sealing gel :)

3. What are you wearing on your toenails at the moment?
    Nothing. Boy am I getting lazy :) (It’s been half-term here, so been busy with the family – at least, that’s my excuse!)
    4. Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals?
    Swarovski crystals for sure.

5. What do you think of Violent Lips?
    Yuck!