Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.21

Hello everyone,

ready for some random ramblings?

Anniversary Dress

I am really obsessed with lace at the moment and when I saw this gorgeous dress from Rise Fashion on the Dorothy Perkins website last December, I incessantly nagged casually hinted to my boyfriend that it would make a wonderful present for our 10th anniversary the following January. The dress is absolutely stunning: it is a sleeveless lace dress with purple lining and ribbon waist tie, 100% Nylon. The style of the dress reminds me of dresses popular in the 50s, which I adore and the ribbon tie at the waist contributes to create a beautiful hourglass shape. It’s very flattering on. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to wear it often yet but now the weather’s warmer, I’ll make up for lost time. :) Have you bought any nice dresses lately?

What I’m Reading Now

To have and to hold by Mary Johnston. A historical romance set in colonial Jamestown during the reign of James I. Captain Ralph Percy wants to take a wife and so goes to town where a group of English single ladies has just arrived to become wives of the settlers. He ends up marrying a certain Jocelyn Leigh who had boarded the ship to Jameston to escape a worse fate in England and although she asks Ralph for help and protection, she makes it clear that they’re married in name only. Ralph is a gentlemen and obliges but soon Jocelyn’s secret catches up with her and she and Percy will have to face a haughty English noble that will try to separate them, pirates, Indians, and lots of other dangerous situations. The book is quite long, rich in adventure and full of twists and turns: you won’t be able to put it down. Because it was written in 1900 the prose is a bit archaic, but not difficult to read and follow, and the romance is very tame. No sex scenes here. Overall, an enjoyable read for the entire family. If you’re interested to read it, it is available for free at Project Gutenberg.

The Links

Future Derm explains the difference between occlusive, humectant and reparative moisturizers.

Hair Romance remembers Vidal Sassoon, the founder of modern hairdressing.

The Skin Type Solution Blog explains how to treat acne while breastfeeding.

Beautyholics Anonymous has released a free ebook that teaches bloggers how to create a media kit.

British Beauty Blogger rants about how some brands are trying to take adventage of bloggers.

Sunday Survey, Vol.101

1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character?
I’m not a huge fan of Winnie The Phoo but I love Eeyore, he’s so adorable!

2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year?
Yes! I can’t keep anymore and I’m not sure I want to either. I think they’ve been sacrificing quality for quantity lately.

3. What are you wearing on your nails right now?
Sinful Colors Nail Enamel in Rise And Shine, a beautiful aqua green.

4. Vampy or nude lips?
Vampy, but I find both of them hard to pull off.

5. What do you think of Mexican food?
I think it’s really good when it’s not too spicy. I’m not really a fan of very spicy dishes.

It’s your turn now!
1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character?
2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year?
3. What are you wearing on your nails right now?
4. Vampy or nude lips?
5. What do you think of Mexican food?

Comments

1. 3

says

1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character? I used to watch Winnie the Pooh when I was little so he is my fav character :)
    2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year? R u kiddin’ ? It’s very difficult for me to keep up writing posts about new MAC collections. I don’t know how MAC fans can keep up shopping the products. I honestly love brands that come up with 3-4 collections/ year. Sometimes I feel like MAC is rushing everyone into buying their products only because they release so many collections and honestly most of them contain repromote products, not so often they came up with new and great colors.
    3. What are you wearing on your nails right now? On my left hand Orly Beach Cruiser and on my right hand Orly Melt Your Popsicle (I’m over my head in nail polish reviews)
    4. Vampy or nude lips? Mostly nude lips but I like vampy style from time to time :)
    5. What do you think of Mexican food? Hmmm…is not my type of food…I’ve tried it once or twice only. I really like Romanian & Italian cuisine. :)

• 4

beautifulwithbrains says

Tavia, I feel the same about MAC. Way too many collections . I’ve had to give up posting about them or I wouldn’t have had the time to post about anything else lol. Besides, I agree with you they are full of repromotes and unoriginal. I really wish they released only a bunch of well though-out collections instead than so many rushed ones.

2. 5

Sophie says

1. Fav Winnie the Pooh character: I’m with you on Eeyore. :)

2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year? I refuse to pay attention to big makeup companies who make a big deal about releasing collections. I do just fine at the drugstore level. Money’s too tight to spend on makeup; I spend more on skincare, because that’s more important to me.

3. What are you wearing on your nails right now? Milani Beachfront, which is a lovely shimmery blue, just a tad darker than sky blue, and Milani 3D Holographic as an accent on my pinky fingers.

4. Vampy or nude lips? Nude; my skin’s too light for vampy. I’d definitely look like one of the undead. LOL

5. What do you think of Mexican food? Love it, but only if it’s not too spicy.

By the way, that dress is just stunning!

• 6

beautifulwithbrains says

Sophie, aww your manicure sounds so pretty!

And I agree, that’s better invest in skincare than makeup products. :)

3. 7

says

the dress is so gorgeous! i love laces :D but have not bought any dresses lately.

1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character?
    – winnie the pooh!

2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year?
    – wayyyyy too many. nothing special anymore.

3. What are you wearing on your nails right now?
    – nothing!

4. Vampy or nude lips?
    – depending on mood and locations ;)

5. What do you think of Mexican food?
    – love mexican food!
    xin´s last blog post ..Dior Voluptuous Lipcare – Plump Lips and Lip Balm? Yes Please!My Profile

• 8

beautifulwithbrains says

Xin, I agree about MAC. Their latest releases are so boring, probably because they’re so rushed. It’s hard to find great concepts for more than 30 collections every year!

• 10

beautifulwithbrains says

Janessa, I’ve lost interested in MAC too which is a shame as it used to be one of my fave brands. But their collections have been so rushed and boring lately!

4. 11

says

1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character?
    I’m not a big fan either but I love Tigger!

2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year?
    OMG yes, I don’t buy MAC makeup but there are several blogs I’ve stopped following as all they show are the MAC collections and I get bored. I can’t tell one from the other.

3. What are you wearing on your nails right now?
    Nothing at the mo, been giving my nails a break for May and using lots of cuticle balm.

4. Vampy or nude lips?
    Nude lips for me, but not pale nude more like a colour wash. Hubby hates lipstick!

5. What do you think of Mexican food?
    I love Mexican food, and I’m going to eat loads when I go back home. This place near my parents makes the best homemade salsa, I will be drinking/eating gallons of it!
    Annabella Freeman´s last blog post ..Hootie cutie goodness with Gwdihw Welsh Beauty BalmsMy Profile

• 12

beautifulwithbrains says

Annabella, I agree with you. It’s a hard to distinguish MAC collections these days, they are all so similar!

And have a safe and fun trip, hun!

5. 13

Viv says

It’s your turn now!
    1. Favourite Winnie The Pooh character?
    Eeyore for sure!
    2. Do you think MAC releases too many collections every year?
    3. What are you wearing on your nails right now?
    Nothing at all!
    4. Vampy or nude lips?
    Vampy – nude looks awful on me for some reason!
    5. What do you think of Mexican food?
    Good

Viv x

• 14

beautifulwithbrains says

Viv, it’s really hard to find a nude shade that actually looks good on, isn’t it? I’m still looking for one too..