Are You Cool Or Warm? How To Determine Your Skin’s Undertone

how to determine your skin's undertone 01

Want to know a secret that will instantly up your makeup game? It’s all in the undertones. Your skin’s undertone, that is.

While your skin colour can change (it can tan or become red, for example), your undertone (the colour right beneath the surface) doesn’t. It always remains either cool, warm, or neutral.

Why take the time to figure out what yours is? Because then you can easily choose the shades that enhance your skintone. Say bye bye to colours that make you look sick and washed out, and hello to flattering hues that always make you look your best!

But how do you figure out what your skintone is, and what colours best suit it? Here are a few tips to help you:

how to determine your skin's undertone 02

How To Determine Your Skin’s Undertone

There isn’t one quick way to determine your skin’s undertone. The best way is to do a series of tests. Take pen and paper and divide the latter into two columns, cool and warm. Don’t worry about neutral for now. We’ll get to it later.

Here are the rules. Do one test at a time, and write down the outcome in the right column. For more precise results, do them in natural light and with a clean, bare face.

Ready? Lets’ get started:

1.Veins Test

Look at the veins on your inner wrist. Are they mostly blue? Then, you are cool-toned. Green? You are warm-toned.

2. Jewellery Test

Grab two pieces of jewellery, one gold and the other one silver (if you don’t have them, you can use gold and silver eyeliner instead). Wear first one, and then the other.

Which one suits you best? If gold makes you look glowy, you are warm-toned. Is silver more flattering on you? Then you are cool-toned.

3. White Fabric Test

Before doing this test, remove all your makeup. Now, take a piece of white fabric (it can be a scarf, a t-shirt, or a random piece of cloth) and wrap it around your face. If you don’t have one at hand, you can hold a white piece of paper near your bare face. It’ll do the trick too.

The white colour of the fabric (or piece of paper) will reflect the tone of your skin. Look at it carefully. Does your skin look more yellow? You have warm undertones. Does it look more blueish? You have cool undertones.

4. Tan Or Burn Test

Don’t worry, you don’t have to go to the beach or a tanning salon to do this test. Just think about what happens when you get some sun exposure.

Does your skin tan easily? Then chances are, you have warm undertones. If, instead, you burn easily or are unable to tan at all, you probably have cool undertones.

5. Genetic Test

No, you don’t need to do any medical tests, don’t worry. Just look at yourself in the mirror. Your looks may help you figure out your undertone too.

Although there are many exceptions, people who are warm-toned usually have yellow undertones in their skin; brown, green and hazel eyes; and brown, red and black hair.

(If you’re Asian, the above statement doesn’t apply to you. It’s easy to think that, because you have surface yellowness in your skin you are warm-toned, but you may actually be neutral- or even cool-toned. Read this guide to find out for sure).

People who are cool-toned instead, usually have pink undertones and a rosy look; blue or grey eyes; and blonde, brown or black hair.

Still Confused? You May Be Neutral-Toned

If you’ve completed all the tests above, you’ve noticed that not all your results have neatly fallen into one column. One test says you are warm-toned, another cool-toned, and another one that you are both warm- and cool-toned! So confusing!

And perfectly normal. The same happened to me. I look good both in silver and gold jewelry and my veins are both green and blue. I tend to burn easily and that’s a cool trait, but then that could be because my skin is very fair? It’s totally possible to have fair skin that’s warm toned and dark skin that’s cool toned, after all… Are you still with me?

The thing is, no skintone is either cool or warm, but a blend of both. It’s just that in some people, the warm tones are more obvious, while in others, the cool ones prevail. If neither prevails, then you are neutral-toned.

What Colors Should You Use?

Now that you know what your skin’s undertone is, you can easily choose shades that best flatter it. Here’s a quick guide to help you.

If You Have Cool Undertones

For the lips, choose reds with blue undertones, cool pinks, mauve and burgundy. On the eyes, use silver, grey, white, pink and jewel tones (such as sapphire and emerald). On the cheeks, cool pinks and rosy blushes. What about foundation? Pick one that’s either neutral or pink-based.

If You Have Warm Undertones

Choose eyeshadows in earthy tones such as brown, olive, orange, yellow, bronze and copper. Gold is a great option too. For the lips, use orange-based reds and apricot, peachy shades. On the cheeks, use coral or peachy blushes. And your foundation should be either yellow-based or peach-based.

Neutral Undertones

If you have neutral undertones, lucky you! You can wear every colour under the sun, and always look amazing.

Now Break The Rules!

What?! I’ve just written a super long post to help you determine your skin’s undertone, and what shades suit it best, and now I’m not telling you to forget about the whole thing? Sort of.

If you want to play it safe, play by the rules. But if, like me, you find them too limiting, and want to experiment with other shades, do so.

Let’s say that you are cool-toned and want to wear gold eyeshadow at a Christmas party. Shop around. There are so many gold shades available. Some lighter, some darker. Some warmer, some cooler. You’ll find one that suits you. It may not flatter you as much as silver or pink, but it’ll still look good on you.

Remember, you never know what suits you until you try it. So, go ahead and break the rules! But do stick to them when it comes to buying foundation, or you’ll look like you’re wearing a mask!

Are you cool-, warm- or neutral-toned?

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Comments

Jamilla, I think these simple tests can give a good indication of your undertone, but they are not 100% effective which can be quite confusing at times. But usually professional color analysis are pretty spot on. :)

I was confused for a long time, but I’m pretty sure I’m neutral – my veins are sort of greenish blue, I look good in cool and warm red lipsticks, I prefer silver jewelery and cooler colors, but get compliments when I wear warm colors too. Then, I had one MAC artist mix NW and NC for my face, so I was like – hmmm, must be neutral!
    Emi at Project Swatch´s last blog post ..Eyebrow UpdateMy Profile

Emi, I was confused for a long time too. Now I think that’s a good indication that you’re neutral toned lol. Most people actually have a neutral undertone. :)

2. Viv says

I THINK I’m neutral, but could be any one of them! No problem – I just wear whatever I want! Must admit, the bronze colours that ‘should’ work because of my red hair/freckles actually really don’t – I do suit grey/pink colours to match my grey eyes.

Viv, I think knowing your undertones helps choose the colors that best suit you, but at the end of the day, you should just wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in. :)

I think I’m neutral, too, because I couldn’t decide if I was cold or warm:) Usually I don’t wear jewellery and makeup, so it’s not so important for me to know it exactly.
    Julie´s last blog post ..dental surgeryMy Profile

Makeup Morsels, if you’re getting mixed results are a confused, then I agree you’re very probably neutral. Most people are. :)

Vonvon, me too. It’s good to know what colors make us look our best, but that doesn’t mean that we all have to wear those. Wearing whatever we like is more fun! :)

4. Marie says

Thanks. I was confused too and perhaps I’m neutral too. I’ve got blue-green veins; brown hair (with a little red hair reflect), dark eyes but pale skin that burn.
    I don’t know if ti works woth, but for job I had an hour about colors and the 4 seasons relooking. They asked me if I had red hair’s persons in my family (and if my skin burned). I told them that there wasn’t but when I was baby I had blonde hair with red reflect (and as my father, it was like that, and quite red hair at 3, and brown hair after that become darker with the time (and at 60 he as black hair lol). Then they told me after wondering between spring and autumn that I am a “spring” person. I don’t know if it helps. They said that yellow suits me, and green, orange, coral, fair colors but also bright purple) and for make up to use coral, peach, etc…
    But I’ve got ivory teeth… I care them of course, but I never couls be with the “hollywood smile” and I can’t whiten them. So I wonder if it will be well to have orangey lipstick (if it suits me only if I never open the mouth lol) (and on the other hand, dark pink lipstick (berry) don’t make my teeth looks more yellow, but it’s a little Morticia Adams’ look…)
    What do you think about that?

Marie, I think you are neutral toned too, maybe leaning a bit more to warm. There are neutral toned people who can wear any shades but find it harder to pull off those at the opposite end of the spectrum (ie too warm and too cool).

And to make teeth look whiter, you need to use blue-based shades. Try one that’s not too cool nor too deep as that would not suit your pale skin. Hope this helps.

5. Virginia says

I think I might be neutral or maybe neutral leaning towards warm. Don’t really know. I burn real easy the first time around then I peal then if I get in the sun again I get a tan. I can wear both gold and silver jewelry which is nice because I am allergic to all other metals so it seems.
    My hair is very medium dark then I dyed it and it looked good it is like Dark brown magonomy which when you read up on it says it says it neutral have both warm and cool tones. Just how I managed that I don’t know.
    I look good in bright colors both cool and warm like Coral and Salmon, look good but so does fuchsia and hot pink, and magenta. I look good in Reds I like teals; I think that is because my eyes are bluish green so I want to bring them out.
    I tried to figure out my season the only one I have seen me tagged as yet is Summer, well with dark hair I don’t think you can be a summer.
    My skin is light my foundation is fairly light made by bare minerals. I am very light but not ivory or porcelain. I am of northern European decent like a Gaelic and Scandinavian mix. I was blonde when I was little.
    I was just wondering what you think

Virginia, I believe you are neutral too. Most people are and they’re lucky because they can wear any color they like. :)

6. Bekka says

BI am just ready to sob! LOL! I have just moved to an area of the USA with NOTHING as far as beauty counters go…no Sephora, no ulta, no department stores…you get the idea. I have worn Chanel foundation in the shade 20 claire or 20 beige for years (10 beige matches, yet washes me out terribly, as the 20 shades are yellow based…at least according to the SA at the Chanel boutique where I lived previously)
    Wouldn’t ya know it, with the boredom of living in this part of the country, I have been ordering makeup online by the hoard, and desperately want to expand my foundation collection. Here’s my dilemma: obviously I need to determine my skin tone if I even want a hope of matching to a foundation that I can’t sample. (And there are sooooo many I want to try.). I have Irish skin that burns easily but then tans…tons of redness in my cheeks, tons of freckles, blond hair, and blue-green eyes. All signs point toward cool…yet the pink or rose based shades in the cool categories often leave my face looking uber pink and not at all matching my neck. The yellow toned shades like Chanel Claire20 and Shiseidos 120 (in perfect refining foundation…which was a lucky match that I ordered on a whim.) these shades are the only ones so far that make my face match my neck…as my face is naturally darker than my neck due to freckles, redness, exposure, etc.
    Ill stop babbling and get to the point…does this mean I am warm? Or is the yellow simply counteracting my redness? Would more neutral shades wash me out if I am in fact warm? The tests for undertones usually appear that I am neutral, but I haven’t been brave enough to stray from the yellow toned foundations. Ugh, I know, what A hot mess I must sound like!! I know this may not be sufficient info to aid in a conclusion…but even a little direction would be soooooo helpful! I feel like such a bubble head right now!! Thank you so much and I love your blog!!

Bekka, I’m sorry there aren’t many counters where you live. At least there’s always online shopping, but unfortunately buying a foundation like that can be risky. From what you told me, it seems to me that you are neutral-toned. I know that we’re used to think that people with fair complexions and blonde hair must be cool-toned, but quite a lot of them have actually neutral undertones. And if yellow-based foundations work for you, then I’d keep using them. I also think you should look for good dupes of the two foundations that match your skintone well. Temptalia.com has a feature called Foundation Matrix to find dupes of foundation shades, but you can also check out findation.com. I hope this helps.

• Bekka says

Thank you so much! I just needed a bit of reassurance I think, because as you said, people tend to assume I’m cool toned, especially at first glance (I even had myself convinced I must be, due to hair/eyes, etc.). I am excited to try the foundation matrix at Temptalia.com., and maybe even do some brave online shopping! Thanks again for your time, your reply was most helpful and very much appreciated!

7. Elizabeth says

I’m not really sure what I am. I know that I can’t wear red lipstick without looking odd. I don’t even look good with red nail polish. The polish has to be a burgundy red or a plum red. I color my brown hair red which everyone says looks good on me maybe because of my eyes which have a green, grey blue color to them. But my skin has a really reddish color to it. I am a mix of French, German, and Italian. I look wonderful wearing dark greens, darker pinks, and greys. I even have been told I look good wearing teal. So I think cool tones seem to work better. But I am a work in progress.

8. Moggy says

Gah! I’m so confused! I have dark hair, green eyes and fair/pinkish skin. I have always assumed I am cool toned and so theoretically should be able to wear pale eyeshadow’s, right? But they make me look totally washed out! Id also love to wear pink and purple eyeshadows to make my green eyes ‘pop’ as promised, but I just look bruised and like I’m on drugs :/ My go-to eyeshadow is a dark brown, which seems to suit me but is getting a bit boring. What am I doing wrong?

Moggy, your hair/eye/skin colours are only an indication of your undertones and, without further proof, can be a very deceiving one. As for pale eyeshadows, they could make you look washed out because of how fair your skin is. Have you tried taking the other tests I mentioned in this post? That will give you a better indication of what your undertones are and what colours you should use.

9. Kelly says

I am still confused with myself. I have a skin condition called keratosis pilaris rubra faceii and it makes my cheeks flush look red at times so it’s confusing as people always told me I am cool toned because of the pink cheeks but I don’t really believe I am. I am on the fair side being nc15. I have dark brown hair and hazel eyes; my veins…I can’t really tell, sometimes they look blue sometimes green. I look a lot better in warm colors, orange and peaches especially. But I feel I look good in both silver and gold jewelry. And I have also been told by many I look good in purples and greys. If you take out the equation of my skin condition I actually look pretty yellow out in natural sunlight. I haven’t done the white fabric yet because strangely I can’t find any…I find that a little sad XD I have never had any trouble getting a tan and never really had an issue with burning unless when I was little and out in the sun for long periods of time without sunscreen. I am German Irish Spanish and Native American. Too me the way I describe it, it sounds like I would be warm toned but I still have doubts *sigh* frustrating.

Kelly, from what you told me, it seems to me that you neutral-toned, but leaning more towards the warm end of the spectrum. Hope this helps.

10. Alva says

Hi!
    I have blue eyes and ashy hair, though it used to be almost white when I was a child. I don’t have a very fair complexion and I tan easily. I have no idea what undertones I have. I feel like I have some redness in my face, the veins around my eyes are blue and when I tan I get this bronze look. It does feel a little bit like I have warm undertones though because I have this tan skin and I can’t tell if the veins on my arms are blue or green. My family is from scandinavia if that helps. Also I never know what hair color suits me best, it feels like nothing works.

Alva, from what you tell me it seems to me that you are neutral-toned. Most people are and that’s why it’s so difficult to tell. We tend to believe that we have to be either warm or cool toned, but chances are that, if you can’t figure that out easily, you’ll have neutral undertones instead.

Viswadeep Das, it’s difficult to recommend the right shades knowing only what your skin colour is. But you should avoid anything too light and pastel as these colours tend to look ashy on dark skintones.

11. Bridgette says

Ok so my hair is like a light brown and my eyes are like a brown with a hint of green. I like silver better though so I don’t know but I have a photoshoot soon and I need to know what color shirts I should wear also my skin is like white with a hint of well ok it’s not like a snow or pale or anything but it’s not like a tan or dark it’s I don’t know but please help and I love your website!!!

Bridgette, I’m glad that you like my website. And I would love to help you, but I need a bit more information. Your colouring is only one of the indicators of your undertone and, alone, not very reliable. Have you done the veins, jewellery and tan tests? If not, do them and let me know your answers so that I can help you determine your undertone. :)

12. Shelly says

Hello :)
    I’m very confused about the “science” behind the skin tone thing. I am very fair. I have rosacea, which gives me a slightly pink undertone in the face. However, many liquid foundations are too pink and don’t look right. I’ve been using a powder/foundation/sunscreen but it has been discontinued so now I have to start all over :( The other issue is, that I’ve been trying on wedding dresses. If I wear an ivory dress, there is very little contrast between the dress and my skin (it almost makes me look yellow). So my question is – if I am a “light summer” or a “cool muted light” why does wearing a warm/ivory color make me look yellow? And if I do indeed have yellow undertones instead of pink (which explains why foundations look too pink) – then why doesn’t the ivory dress look right? I received an online color consultation and am a “light summer” or a “cool, muted light.” If it was a mistake and I’m a light spring/warm, then ivory should look ok on me. I personally don’t think warm colors look good on me at all. But if I am a cool, muted light – then why are the foundations too pink? Also, if ivory makes me look the same shade as the dress, then does that mean I have yellow undertones or am sallow? Can someone be sallow but still cool toned (which would make perfect sense if that actually happens). I’m so lost. Please help lol I don’t understand how the foundations can be too pink but I look yellow in ivory.

Shelly, hello. I believe you may have cool undertones, and if pink foundations don’t look right is simply because of the rosacea. Instead than enhancing your skintone, the pink just enhances the rosacea, which is not a good look. When you have this condition, a foundation will yellow undertones may work best as it counteracts the redness. Also, a lot of pink foundations on the market have just too much pink in them and so don’t look very natural at all, which may be another reason why they don’t work well for you. Hope this helps.

13. Shelly says

Thank you! I was hoping you would say that. I actually went and purchased a yellow mineral foundation and placed it only on the rosacea and then used my regular mineral base on the rest of my face and this morning my sister said “wow, your skin looks really clear” and she had had no idea I had purchased new makeup to color correct. Everything you said makes perfect sense and it coordinates with the cool colors that look good on me and also with the results of my color analysis. Thanks so much for responding! I tried on gowns again today and one of them was a peach color (looked horrible on me) which further confirms my cool tone. I was worried that using the yellow based makeup would make me look too yellow and switch me to a warm tone, but this didn’t really happen. :)

14. Sasha says

I’m in a strange place because as you mentioned, Asians don’t really apply to this warm or cool system. I believe I may be a strange form of olive. At my palest (still relatively tan), I have obvious yellow tones in my skin. If I wear neon green, it makes me look very sick. But when I’m very tan, red comes out in my skin very strongly. What does this sound like to you?

15. Angie says

I love this post. Bt of course I’m still in between about my true undertone. I’m of mixed races (West Indian, Cuban, and creole) and my complexion is so hard to match so I don’t even try to wear anything but lip stain. I do tan easily and I can change from bronzy to red. If you have any suggestions on where to start I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Angie, I’m glad you liked this post.Try applying cool-toned makeup on one side of your face and warm-toned makeup on the other to see which shades suit you better. If they are both flattering on you, then you are neutral-toned. Hope this helps.

16. Robyn says

I have been trying to find my undertone for weeks now. I am African american with a med/deep skin tone and I tan easy. I think I look best in cool colors but my family says they cannot tell the difference. I have pretty much bought every lip color I can find to seen what works on me but they all look pretty bad. I look horrible in yellows, reds, and purples. I cannot tell if my veins are blue or green. I person all believe I look best in silver jewelry.

Robyn, from what you told me, I believe that you may be neutral-toned, but leaning slightly more towards the cool end of the spectrum. Hope this helps.

17. Sequoia Legrone says

Actually I have a yellow undertone and I have to get my makeup in cool. Yellow undertones are not warm they are cool, I know because I am a yellow bone. Yet your facts straight.

Sequoia, are you using MAC cosmetics? I’m asking because MAC classes products for pink/blue undertones as warm, and yellow and golden as cool, when in reality it should be the other way around. I’m not sure why they don’t follow the usual yellow=warm, pink=cool classification like everyone else. It makes things very confusing.

18. Inez says

I was under the impression you wore pink based make up for yellowish undertone. I have yellow undertones and When i wear yellow based make up I look sick. I can never find the right make up color.

Inez, pink-based makeup can make yellow undertones look very unnatural. It’s strange that yellow-based makeup doesn’t work for you. Maybe the foundations you choose are too yellow for your skintone?

19. Rin says

I am still quite confused. Silver looks best on me, greys, black, purple, cool toned reds, blue. I look sick in orange, brown, and yellow. Orangey reds are a hideous too. However, I tan easily. Foundation? Yikes. The only colour that’s ever matched me is Nars Sheer Glow in Syracuse, which they describe as a brown undertone… brown?. I look much better in white than ivory. When wearing white I look greyish yellow, when wearing ivory I look greenish… ugh. Most ppl say I’m warm but I look horrid in most warm colours. When I try foundations I get colours everywhere! Too yellow, too pink, too orange, too peachy, too coppery, too bronze, too golden! Natural hair colour is a very dark brown/soft black and my eyes are termed hazel; a weird mixture of muted green, brown and amber with a greyish blue outer ring. some of my veins look green, some purple some blue.

This is driving me nuts! I don’t know how to describe myself! I know I look best in cool colours, jewel tones, and silver jewelry, but the rest of the descriptions would put me in warm catagory. I’m just not getting this.

Rin, no one is only warm or cool toned, but we all have both undertones in our skin, so it’s just a matter of figuring out which one stands out more. In a lot of people, neither stand out, and so they are called neutral-toned.

Because of this, it is normal when you take these tests to end up with some results that put you in a category, and others that put you in the opposite one. Also, genetics, contrary to what most people believe, are only one indicator, and not even the most important one. From what you told me, it seems to me that you lean more on the cooler side of the spectrum. :)

20. Shelly says

Hello, I am a cool skin tone. I am getting highlights tomorrow but am reading conflicting information. Most of what i read says cool skin tones should go for ash blonde, beige or platinum highlights because those are also cool colors. However, some sites say that I should do the opposite in order to “bring out the warmth” in my skin. I am unsure of which way to go?

Shelly, people with cool undertones usually look better with cool shades, so I would opt for ash blonde or platinum too. You want to bring out your natural undertones. The opposite would be kinda risky and you may not be so pleased with the result.

21. Hala says

I still cant figure it out :( it seems that I’m blind or so its been two months already:p.

I have green- blue veins , I usually buy #2 for concealer and foundation (dior) , I’m Mediterranean Im not tanned and not very fair in addition to that I have brown\black eyes and hair ( so up-till now I seem to be warm) but people tend to compliment me whenever I wear silver or rose gold jewelry. I look good in most colors ( especially bright green, blue, pink and red clothes ; pink/wine red/ light brown-rose lipsticks compliment my skin ) I look washed out in beige, grey and matte brown. I even did the silver/gold cloth test at the store and they all said both looked good.

Does that mean Im neutral ???

Hala, yes, I believe you are neutral indeed. Most people are and that’s a good thing as it means that you can wear most colours without problems. :)

22. Antonia says

Hi there, I am Eurasian and am quite fair for my race… I burn and go red in the sun but then tan after that… I have such difficulty telling if I’m neutral, or cool or warm! I seem to suit a titanium coloured watch and gold and rose gold, although its quite confusing… I’d really love to know what you think. My hair is black but in the sun it appears golden reddish brown, and my eyes are dark brown. My veins appear cyan.

Thanks in advance!

Antonia, from what you tell me, I think you may be neutral, but leaning slightly more towards the cool end of the spectrum. Hope this helps.

23. Kiki says

I think I am neutral leaning more towards cool because I got y colours done ages ago (my mums choice) and I was a winter but slightly summer to and I look horrible in gold but I wear all sorts of eye shadows – partially because my eyes aren’t always the same colour and I always look okay but I have green and blue veins!!!!:)

Kiki, I think you are neutral leaning towards cool too. And that’s so cool that your eyes change colour and you can wear any eyeshadow shade.

24. Rebecca says

I don’t know what I am… I think I have a pale neutral skin tone (veins look blue-green). I have dark blue eyes (with yellow around the pupil) and (dyed) light brown hair. My natural hair colour is natural dark blonde, with a slightly gold tone.

Rebecca, have you done the other tests? People tend to put a lot of importance on genetics, but that’s one of the factors and not even a determining one. Judging from the little you said, though, I’d say you’re neutral.

25. Katherine says

Hey, I have been trying to figure out my skin tone for a while. Naturally I have bright blue eyes, and dark blonde/light brown hair. When I was young I went through a stage of being strawberry blonde! My veins look greenish, and when doing the white fabric test it makes my skin look yellow. However, my cheeks are often described as ‘rosy’. I am thinking of dying my hair a light brown/bronze colour, but I’m not sure it will suit me with my pink cheeks! Help!! I’ve found that I can wear both gold and silver jewellery. Thanks!

Katherine, from what you’ve told me, I think you are leaning a bit more towards the warm side of the spectrum. As for your hair colour, you could try using a temporary dye so that, even if you don’t like the result, you can easily wash it off. Hope this helps.

26. Bridget says

I’ve always believed I was warm toned but lately have actually spent more time truly trying to see what works best on me. I have very dark hair and eyes but very pale skin. As a child a tanned but rarely burned, but as an adult I burn much easier. My veins clearly appear green. But I most definitely look better in silver and can’t wear gold at all. I personally think jewel tone clothes look best on me, and definitely need to stay away from oranges, yellows and warm reds. I’ve mostly been trying to find out my skin tone because I’ve read that ashy brown hair colors are flattering for cool skin, and I’ve always done warmer toned browns when coloring my hair. I’m interested in trying the ash brown to see how it goes but thought it could backfire and wash me out if I’m wrong. The vein test really throws me off because they definitely are not on the bluish side, but the silver/gold test is opposite. The only warm color that I can think of that looks good on me are browns.

Bridget, trying to figure out your skin’s undertone can be very confusing, can’t it? That’s because none of us is completely cool-toned or warm-toned, but we are a mix of the two. It’s just that often either the cool or the warm tones prevail. So, it’s normal when you do these tests to have one or two results fall in the opposite category.

From what you tell me, I believe you lean towards the cool side of the spectrum. As for your hair, try using a dye that can be washed off quickly, so even if you don’t like the results, you can revert back to your natural colour straight. Hope this helps.

27. Lorie Nalley says

I am a natural redhead, like a dark strawberry blonde color. Blueish green eyes, fair skinned, blue veins but I actually have a light tan now and picky peach undertones. Im guessing im cool undertone and I look good in every hair color but black.

Lorie, from the little information you provided, I think you may be neutral-toned, but leaning a bit more towards the cool side of the spectrum. Have you done the other tests too?

28. Lorie Nalley says

Ok I see. I look better in silver jewelry. Teal, green, purple, white, and blue colors look best on me. I also think i’m cool toned or neutral. Definitely not warm toned.

29. Gwen Bruce says

My ancestors were red heads on both sides. As a child I was strawberry blond to red. I have fare freckled skin . I like to wear gold jewellery , I think silver suits better . I wear MAC makeup face and body foundation I only apply one coat . I started wearing MAC C1 last winter I thought it might be a to yellow this summer I bought N2 and I am happier with it shade. Now my problem is lipstick, if I buy a colour I like it seems to change colour when I apply it . I wear aubergine with a greyish colour eyeshadow I fell comfortable with these colours. But the lipstick is proving difficult.

Gwen, what do you mean that the lipstick seems to change colour when you apply it? I’m not sure what to recommend if I don’t know what this happens.

30. Gwen Bruce says

I am using Loreal Berry Royale 505 on me it is more blue purple than pink. Could this be the wrong shade of pink for me. I’m not real comfortable in red shades.

Gwen, could it be that your lips are very pigmented and thus change the colour of the lipstick? In that case, applying a thin layer of concealer on the lips will provide a neutral canvas for the lipstick, allowing it to apply true to colour.

31. Gwen Bruce says

Yes you could be right I have always had to protect my lips from the sun . I live in Queensland Australia . I use concealer on my face never thought to apply it to my lips ( a bit dumb) Thanks for your support and I will let you the results.

32. Claire says

I think I am neutral… My wrist veins are blue, but higher on my forearm or on my legs or many other places the veins are green. I don’t burn easily, but I do burn. Blue eyes and blonde hair, and silver or gold look fine. And I wear any color.

33. Denise says

Am white, dishwater blonde hair with natural gold highlights. My eyes are med to dark blue.i can pull off gray clothing. I have green and blue veins. My neck gives off a pale yellow hue, my forehead more of a violet Hugh. Arm/legs a little pink/ red. Neutral right? All the neutral foundations wash me out. I’ve already purchased 3 different foundation in neutral, all too light, look like I am trying to be goth.2 of the foundations I cannot return because they have been opened (be) the third is arbonne, they will take return. Before I buy another I would like to get feedback on what color to try next. I fall in the med tone category. Would I be best to try a dark cool or dark warm shade?

• Gio says

Denise, I would have said neutral too, but I think you may be leaning more toward the cool end of the spectrum. So, I’d advise you to try a cool-tone foundation. You may want to ask for samples first though, so you have the chance to test them properly. :)

• Denise says

Thank you, I will try a cool shade and let you know. I know I can’t go any darker in the neutral shades, there’s only 1 shade darker in each line I have tried. Frustrating.

• Gio says

Denise, you’re welcome. Unfortunately, a lot of foundation shades are poorly formulated and contain way too yellow or pink tones, so, even if you get your undertone right, there’s still a chance you won’t find a good match in a particular line. Very frustrating indeed.

Hi Gio,

I am a light skinned black person and I go by just black because it is easier than saying Irish, Scottish, Black and Native American on both sides. I should be warm but my veins are greenish blue with dark brown eyes dark brown natural hair. I love the look of silver and rose gold on me , but I look good in gold too. I can pull off many colors on each spectrum and am not sure what color to pick for my prom dress. I wanted silver metallic lace but for the underlay I was thinking a pale blue or a blush pink color. I do not wear heavy makeup just eyeliner in black or charcoal and colored lip gloss or liner usually in a burgundy color sometimes med pink, but bronze brown or dark purple-brown work too. I do tan easily but I do burn if I stay out too long without sunscreen. Am I a warm tone over thinking it?
    Isis´s last blog post ..5 New Gorgeous Eyeshadow Palettes For Spring 2015My Profile

• Gio says

Isis, from what you tell me, I think you may be neutral-toned, which is why you can pull off so many different colours (lucky you!). Hope this helps.

35. Beatrice Kinsey says

I’m African American, and definitely have warm skintone and yellow undertones. I fit everything about warm but the eye & haircolor. My eyes are dark brown and my hair is black. I really don’t have to look at my wrist veins to see the color of my veins because I can see the green on the back of my hands & across my chest is a bright green vein. I tan easy but seldom burn. Does this analysis apply to African Americans? Some of my family members eyes are green or hazel. And they have warm skintones with red undertones. However their natural hair color is black. How do you explain the differences with the above analysis.

• Gio says

Beatrice, that’s normal. The methods mentioned above to help you figure out your undertones are just guidelines, not strict rules. That’s because everyone has a mixture of cool and warm undertones in them. It’s just that sometimes, either the cool or warm tones are more prominent. But even in that case, it is unlikely that when you do the tests above, all the results will neatly fall on that end of the spectrum. Some will give you a result, some another. It’s the column with the most results that wins. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

• Gio says

Kayte, we all have both. It’s just that in some people, one of them is more prominent. If that’s not the case for you, then you are neutral-toned. Most people are, actually. :)