4 Common Mistakes Hairdressers Should Avoid

There are a lot of hair stylists out there who are extremely good at their job, know how to put you at ease and make a visit to the salon a wonderful experience. But let’s face it, there are also those who aren’t as gentle as they should be with our hair or, when they’re in a rush, don’t pay as much attention to details as they should. We’ve all met at least one hair stylist we thought wasn’t doing the job properly but were too afraid to mention it.

We don’t wanna be branded as rude or too demanding (and sadly hair stylists have to deal with lots of clients like that in their career), but as paying clients, we shouldn’t be really afraid of making a polite and reasonable request. If your hair stylist makes any of the mistakes listed below, then ask them kindly to stop. If you’re polite and well-intentioned, your hairdresser won’t get offended and your hair will thank you too. So, what are some common mistakes hairdressers make?

1. Holding the blow dryer too close to the scalp

Most of the hairdressers I’ve met have held the blowdryer way too close to my head, which just drives me insane! All that heat (and blowdryers can heat up to almost 204°C!) is not good for hair and will just cause it to become dry and brittle! Sometimes, it can also burn our scalp. And all this damage can be very easily avoided simply by keeping the blowdryer somewhat distant from our hair. That’ll get the job done anyway, and without side effects.

2. Not treating hair gently

Hair should be treated gently and that means no pulling and tugging. I remember that when I was about 8, I went to a hairdresser who, while styling my hair, would pull and tug so hard on it, it actually made me cry! And my head hurt for hours afterwards. Needless to say, I never went there again. Another no-no is rubbing a towel all over hair after washing it. Hair should be dabbed and squeezed gently, otherwise it will get damaged, becoming prone to split ends and breakage. All damage the hairdresser will later have to fix!

3. Not listening

Don’t you just hate it when you go to the salon to get a certain cut or treatment and the hairdresser refuses to do it because he/she doesn’t think that’ll suit you or something? And then he/she tries to cut or style your hair the way he/she thinks you’d look best even if you don’t agree? This is really annoying. We’re the customers. It’s our hair and our money we are talking about and we should be able to get what we ask without having to fight for it. Admittedly, there are some treatments that may not work for everyone and in that case, a good hair stylist will warn that what you want to do may damage your hair or have side effects. After all, they know what they are talking about. But it is one thing to refuse to do a treatment because it may actually damage a client’s hair, quite another to refuse a certain cut or something simply because the hairdresser doesn’t like it! That’s just unacceptable.

4. Pushing “miraculous” hair products

It always irks me when a hairstylist tries to sell me a product that promises to repair or “feed” my hair or something. And they always seem to contain some rare or little-known extract that promises to drastically improve hair overnight. Well, that’s nonsense. Hair is dead. It cannot be repaired, it cannot be fed and there are very few ingredients (coconut oil is one of them) that can actually penetrate it. What most hair products do is coat the hair shaft and make your locks look good, but only temporarily. Pretty much any conditioner will do that so why would I spend lots of money on expensive products that make promises they can’t keep and have “miraculous” ingredients that just don’t work?! It really surprises me how little hairdressers know about how the products they use work and what they contain. I don’t expect them to have a degree in cosmetic chemistry but they shouldn’t fall for what the brand representatives tell them either and then repeat that nonsense to their trusting clients!

Do you know any other mistakes hairdressers make? Have you ever had any bad experiences? Share them in the comments!

Comments

La Bisbetica, how awful! It’s so irritating when you don’t get what you requested! Such behaviour is unacceptable.

Vonvon, I agree! You’d think a hairdresser would know the damage that does and avoid it, yet there are a lot of them who keep doing it arrgh!

I’ve had both 2 and 3 happen to me, and they really irked me. I remember my parents used to take me to this one place to get my hair cut when I was little, and the lady would keep pulling on my hair!

On a slightly related note, I love the picture! Her hair looks so cool hahaha
    Makeup Morsels´s last blog post ..Tasty TGIF Tidbits: CandlesMy Profile

Makeup Morsels, ouch! I rally hate it when hairdressers do that. It’s so painful and just want to stop going to that salon ever again.

I’d love to have hair like that too, it’s cool indeed lol.

Xin, you’d think they’d know but apparently not… it’s so irritating especially because it is so common.. argh!

2. Viv says

All these sound terrible :( I’ve been going to the same hairdresser for years and years – when I had children at the nursery I was always in a rush and she stopped drying my hair altogether!! I haven’t gone back to having it dried, and really appreciate this, as I don’t pay for the blow-dry, and it saves time too – I always let my hair dry naturally as it’s very thick and curly and dries as I like it (for years I wanted straight hair, I’ve grown to love it as it is at last!!). Years ago though I went to a salon and left with the worse ever cut – sort of a seventies ‘feather’ cut – she was so definitely NOT listening to me. I didn’t want to leave the house lol!

Viv, I really hate it when they give you a bad haircut because they didn’t listen! They should! It’s the client that should decide the cut, not the hairdresser!

I prefer to let my hair air dry too as my hair looks and feels better when I do. So it really irritates me when I go to the hairdresser’s and they use the blowdryer keeping really close to my scalp! Maybe I should stop having it dried at the salon too..

Stavroula, that’s so irritating, isn’t it? I get it that they have lots of clients in a day and need to be quick, but that’s not a good enough reason to burn people’s heads! They should know how damaging it is and keep the blowdryer away from the scalp anyway!

I had a hairdresser tell me I was going bald and try to sell me some $50 a bottle shampoo. I was 22 and have hair thicker than a horse’s tail! She wouldn’t let up either. Needless to say, she didn’t get a tip. I was just getting my bangs done too…

Nionvox, that’s awful! The things people will do to sell something, it’s appalling. You did well not to tip her and I hope you changed hairdresser too.