How To Conceal Dark Circles

bobbi brown creamy concealer kit 02

Dark circles can be caused by several things: lack of sleep, heredity, sun exposure, bad diet, fatigue and stress. Whatever the cause, they make you look tired, dull and unattractive. But with the right products and application, you can easily conceal them and brighten up your face. Here’s how:

1. Choose The Right Concealer

First of all, it’s really important that we choose the right concealer for the job. Opt for one that is one shade lighter than your skintone. Don’t go lighter than that or, instead than concealing the dark under eye area, you’ll accentuate it! In addition, you should choose a concealer with either peachy or yellow undertones as these shades work well at counteracting the purplish and bluish undertones of dark circles. My favourite concealer to hide dark circles is Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer. It’s expensive but it does the job really well and you only need very little for each application so it will last for ages.

2. Moisturize the eye area

Concealers tend to have a heavier texture than foundation as they have to completely hide any imperfections you may have. To make application easier, allowing the concealer to glide on smoother, and avoid a cakey appearance, apply a drop of moisturizer on the under eye area and wait until it is fully absorbed (should take less than a minute) before putting on the concealer.

concealer triangle method

3. Apply concealer

Once you’ve applied foundation, it’s time for concealer (some people prefer to apply concealer before foundation, which is ok too but I prefer to apply it after it). Place a few dots of concealer (be careful not to apply too much, less is more when it comes to concealer) on your under eye area, starting from the inner corner and following your orbital bone. Using your ring finger or a concealer brush, blend gently. Set it with translucent powder.

4. The triangle method

The classic method explained above works well at concealing dark circles, but it’s not my favourite one. The technique I usually use is called “the triangle method”. Basically, you apply concealer under your eye, down your nose and up to the outer corner of the eye again, creating a triangular shape, as illustrated in the photo above. Blend well. This will brighten up the face and give a more natural result.

How do you conceal dark circles?

Comments

Jamilla, BB creamy concealer is amazing, it hides dark circles so well. The corrector is on my wishlist, must try it soon. :)

1. Roxann says

I have been at war with under eye concealer for a while now. The BB one is amazing i use it with a colour corrector. The problem with under eye concealers is actually the creasing. The IT cosmetics Bye Bye under eye was great, hardly any creasing. E.L dbl was excellent as well. just couldnt get a good colour match :-(

Roxann, BB cream concealer is really good, isn’t it? I agree that creasing is a major problem with concealer. You need to find one that’s creamy but not too creamy and be careful not to apply too much. It is a really a shame when you find one with the right consistency but can’t get a good color match. :(

2. Olivia says

Hi dear :) I usually put on 2 layers of concealer: a yellow one for the purple and an orange one for the bluish dark circles. My trick is also using a concealer that’s darker than my skin, it works amazingly!

Hi Olivia. I’m glad that works well for you and thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great tip to hide really bad dark circles. :)

Krys, lol. That’s a wonderful kit! And coupled with the triangle method it will help you to hide everything. It really is a great technique to hide dark circles.

Trisha, it really is. Ever since I learned about it I have never looked back. It hides dark circles, brightens up the face and looks so natural.

Makeup Morsels, thanks. And I agree about salmon-toned concealers. They work so well at concealing dark circles with purplish undertones. :)

Vonnie, I’m sorry to hear you’re suddenly getting dark circles but I hope these tips will help you conceal them. And get some rest. ;)

Jeni, I’m sorry you had to start to deal with them too. And that’s what I do as well. Thank goodness for concealer! :)