QOTW: Would you rather give up foundation or eyeshadow primer?

Would you rather give up foundation or eyeshadow primer?

Beautiful with Brains says: Even though foundation for me is a necessity and I’m rarely seen without it, I’d give that up before eyeshadow primer. I’m still quite young and my skin is still in a nice condition so I guess I could only get away with applying concealer when needed or a powder. But there is no way that I can give up eyeshadow primer, unless I want my makeup to become a mess after a couple of hours! And no, I can’t use foundation as a base for my eyeshadow. I know some people that swear by it but it just doesn’t work for me. It gives me only one or two more hours of wear but that’s it.

Comments

Vonnie, those are great alternatives to primers. Unfortunately they don’t last too long on me but I know people that do that and have perfect makeup all day long. Gorgeous skin is very important too. :)

1. Eleanor says

When I was younger, I would have given up foundation, in fact I did, because I lived in a hot area and they didn’t have sweat-proof foundations back then. It’s never good when you have rivers of sweat running through your foundation.

However, now that I am almost 50, my skin has changed a lot. Worst of all, I am getting old-lady spots. Ugh! Wrinkles are coming too. And, I still have acne. Some times life just doesn’t seem fair. But, nobody every said that it was.

The spots are what results from growing up before good sun screen and having lots of sun burns. So, if you are young, be sure to wear that sun screen every day. The products available today are so much better than what was available back then.

BTW, I always wear sun screen and a shade hat when I go out in the sun now.

Eleanor, I agree with you. Sunscreen is so important and wearing it everyday can avoid so much damage. We are lucky today to have lots of well-formulated sunscreens so really there is no excuse not to wear it. :)

oh my, this is a tough one! I don’t mean to toot my own horn but I’m comfortable with my bare skin now that it *touches wood* hasn’t been giving me much problems. But for some reason, full eye makeup looks off in pictures without foundation and blush doesn’t stick on too well so at least some foundation is necessary. On top of that, I’m a foundation hoarder.

I can’t do without eyeshadow primer either. I know many have gotten away with not wearing any eyeshadow primer and still have their eyeshadow last but it just doesn’t happen for me. I need an eyeshadow primer or I’d get greasy lids in no time.
    Connie´s last blog post ..V-Day Tutorial- Just The Way You AreMy Profile

Connie, it is a very tough question indeed! I’m glad that your skin is behaving now. Mine is in a nice condition at the moment but I still like to wear foundation because I think it helps to pull the whole look together. You can look a bit off, especially in pictures, otherwise.

But an eyeshadow primer is essential as well especially for those with oily lids. Some people can use foundation or cream eyeshadows instead but I find that doesn’t work too well for everyone.

I would definitely give up eyeshadow primer before foundation! My eye makeup usually stays on pretty well without primer, so I only wear primer if I’m going out, or want my eyes to look great for a long day. But without foundation, ugh…! When I wear sunscreen, I definitely need foundation to make my skin look good over it.
    Jeni´s last blog post ..SLS Free ShampooMy Profile

Jeni, I really envy you for not needing primer. There’s no way my makeup would last more than 3 hours without it.

LatestGirl, I agree that foundation is a really hard thing to give up on, it really evens out the skintone and help you look flawless. Although primers are also important for those with oily lids.

I would give up eyeshadow primer. I prefer porcelain skin plus a simple eye with only mascara than perfect, “indestructible” smokey eye plus my not-so-perfect bare face.

La Bisbetica, I see your point there. I like fun bright looks too much to give up eyeshadow primers, but a beautiful eye makeup doesn’t look that good if skin is not in a good condition.

Brittany, you’re so lucky you don’t have to wear foundation! But I feel the same as you about eyeshadow primer. ;)

Stavroula, I’m with you. Foundation can easily be replaced by concealer or powder, but if you have oily lids, nothing could substitute a good primer. :)