QOTW: How Much Attention Do You Like To Receive At Stores?

How Much Attention Do You Like To Receive At Stores?

Beautiful with Brains says: I like to be greeted when I enter and leave, but that’s all the attention I want. I like to be free to spend as much time as I want browsing the counters and playing with testers without a pushy SA trying to sell me something that doesn’t even suit me or that keeps staring at me all the time like I’m some thief that’s gonna steal a Maybelline gloss if not properly watched! If you make me feel uneasy, I’ll leave without buying anything.

If I need help with something, I’ll ask you. And if you’re too busy chatting with your friends to pay any attention to me, I’ll just go to another shop. And while asking me if I need help is fine, if I say no, just leave me alone. SAs should be helpful and discreet. Not paying attention to customers is rude, but paying too much (unwanted) attention is just as bad.

Comments

Shusheshe, I hate it when they do that. It makes you feel so uncomfortable, doesn’t it? I guess it’s ok to keep an eye on customers so they can know when they need help, but staring like that is really bad and really send customers away without buying anything.

Olivia, that’s lovely of you. It’s a shame there are few good SAs around, I usually only run into those that have absolutely no need what they are talking about or are really unfriendly. I know it’s not always their fault as they aren’t all trained, but it’s still frustrating for the customers. So, when you run into good SAs, they deserve to be complimented. :)

Xin, me too. I don’t mind if they ask if I need help though but sometimes I say no and they keep staring at me while I browse the shop making me feel very uncomfortable so something I kinda dread that question lol.

I agree with everything you said! I don’t like to be hassled, but I do like to be greeted, and I like it when the salespeople engage with me when I’m paying for things. I used to work retail and would have caught holy hell if I’d ignored customers the way I’ve been ignored in some retail establishments!
    Principessa Grassa´s last blog post ..Urban FlapperMy Profile

Principessa Grassa, I think it is only polite to greet people when they enter and leave and I’m a bit puff off by SAs that don’t do it, unless they are busy with other customers of course. And I really can’t understand how some SAs can get away with ignoring clients. If I were their boss, I’d be furious!

Stavroula, me too! They make you feel like a thief that’s about to steal something or a naughty little child that’s about to destroy everything they touch. Why else stare that way? It makes you feel so uncomfortable and wanting to leave as soon as possible empty-handed.

Phyrra, I”d rather be left alone too. I don’t really mind if a SA asks me if I need help but some of them just don’t seem to understand that when you say no you mean no and just keep stalking you around the shop.

I like to be left alone so I can discover things on my own. However, when I need help, I’d better receive it. I tend to dress down when I go shopping and SAs tend to ignore me in order to focus more on people who dress better. Needless to say, I don’t buy from stores like that.
    Dao´s last blog post ..Missing Summer FOTDMy Profile

Dao, I’m just like you. I wanna be left alone but helped if I ask. I dress down too when shopping but SAs always ask me if I can help anyway. But if I’m saying that I’m looking for a foundation or other base products, they always try to sell me some cheap ones from L’Oreal or Maybelline that just don’t make shades pale enough for fair-skinned girls like me. They do it because they assume I don’t have the money for anything more expensive and that’s just rude. I hate it when they judge you for what you wear.

Good question. Malaysian shop assistants tend to trail you the moment you walk into the store, which is bloody annoying. I’m always curious as to who came up with such a practice and taught the rest of the sales staff that this is effective, because it really isn’t. It invades the customer’s personal space and doesn’t give him/her a good shopping experience.

I prefer them to acknowledge my presence, tell me that they’re around and all I need to do is holler if I need anything, but still watching me from afar just in case I wanted something.

How difficult is that? :P

Tine, I always wondered that too. I had friends who worked in some clothes stores telling me it was the manager that wanted them to trail the customers but failed to mention the reason why. It is so annoying and makes you never to want to set foot in the store again. Definitely not effective and whoever thinks it is is seriously mistaken.

I agree SAs should be there and let you know that if one needs help, they’re there to help, but that’s it.

Hahaha… Absolutely agree with Tine. I ALWAYS tell them “Oh, I’m just looking around, not really buying anything” (hinting I don’t need her help since I’m not buying) then she says “Okay” and stands 2 feet away from me, staring at me as I look at all the colours and swatch. I can feel her eyes burning into me and… I just leave the shop haha.. Okay I should just write a post on this and not swamp your comments with an essay LOL Since I actually have much more to rant about this >_<
    Isabel´s last blog post ..DIY Yogurt- Honey &amp Oatmeal MaskMy Profile

Isabel, I love reading all you guys’ comments and essays lol, so don’t worry about that. And I would be very interested to read your post about this matter. :)

It’s really annoying when they do that. If you tell them you’re not buying, they should just leave you alone. It’s like they can’t understand why one is in a shop if one doesn’t want to make a purchase and stalk him cos they’re afraid they’re gonna steal something. At least that’s how they make me feel and it’s awful!

Tammy me too. It’s only polite to greet customers but I think most people want to be left alone. After all, if we need help, we’ll ask.