How to use green concealer

Have you ever come across a green concealer or primer at a beauty store and wondered what it could possibly be used for? I did. Green concealer confused me at first but to understand what it does, we simply have to go back to what we learnt in art classes about the color wheel.

What is green concealer used for?

If you want to counteract a color, you need to use the one opposite it in the color wheel. And green is directly across red. So, if you want to neutralize any red spots on your cheeks like pimples, acne, rosacea or simply rosy cheeks, green will do the job well. Of course, you don’t need to run out and buy a green concealer at the first sign of redness. Foundations or concealers with medium or full coverage are usually enough. But if not, here’s how to use green color corrective products.

How to use green concealers

The trick to apply green concealer is to use very little. While you wanna counteract the redness, you don’t want the concealer to leave a greenish or white cast on your skin. That would just make you look ill. With the help of a concealer brush, apply a small amount on the reddish spot you wish to cover and blend the edges well so that they’ll fade into the skin and won’t be visible. The next step is to apply either your usual flesh-toned concealer or foundation on top of it to hide the green. Finally, set everything with powder so the makeup will stay put.

How to use green primers

The difference between green concealers and primers is that the primers are usually sheerer. Because of that, they won’t completely cover redness but only tone it down. Now reduced, the redness will be easier to cover with a foundation. The advantage primers have over concealers is that, because their consistency is lighter, it’s easier to apply makeup on top of them without risking a cakey appearance.

Have you ever used a green concealer or primer?

Comments

Ilaria, I completely agree. They are a must for me in winter when my cheeks are all red due to the cold weather.

Connie, I envy you! In winter my cheeks get all red so I end up using green concealers quite a lot. That’s too bad you have other concerns though and sallowness is well-neutralized by purple correctors. I actually love colored corrective concealers, they are so handy!

Dao, I’ve experimented with a few green concealers and I stumbled upon a couple of cheap ones that wear so sheer they would leave a greenish cast but not hide the red spot. Totally useless. It takes time to find a good green concealer but if you managed to find a regular one that covers anything anyway, then a colored one isn’t really necessary.

Dee, oh yes, it cover redness so well! It’s amazing really especially cos green concealers look quite scary in the tube/pot. But some regular concealers are equally good at covering redness. :)

I don’t use green concealers as I don’t experience any bad redness. For pimples, I just use regular concealers. I do however have a purple makeup base and I think it sorta works like it? Except for yellowness, of course. Lol to tell the truth, I have NEVER seen a concealer so GREEN like the ‘cover stick’ in the photo
    Isabel´s last blog post ..DIY Yogurt- Honey &amp Oatmeal MaskMy Profile

Isabel, that stick is really green isn’t it? It looks kinda scary! Usually green concealers are a softer shade of red. Purple works well at counteracting sallowness and dark circles too. :)

makeup morsels, the first time I used green concealer I applied too much and ended up with greyish cast on my face. It was horrible. But once you get it right, it covers redness very well. Primers are easier to use as being sheerer, you don’t have to be as careful with application.

Shaz, usually, I apply concealer afterwards. If the concealer is sheer, a setting powder would do too. Hope this helps.

2. Patricia says

THANKS FOR THE TIP. I HAVE ROSACEA SO I REALLY HAVE TO FIND EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO COVER IT UP. UGH HATE IT I WILL HAVE TO TRY SOME OF THESE.

Patricia, I’m sorry to hear about your problem. A green concealer would work well for rosacea.