QOTW: What do you think of celebrity perfumes?

What do you think of celebrity fragrances?

Beautiful with Brains says: while once in a while you stumble upon a perfume that smells wonderful, they usually tend to smell all the same and not even all that good. And it’s really starting to irritate me that lately every celebrity seems to be coming out with their own scent. I’d be ok if they developed it themselves or at least helped to so we would have a distinctive fragrance. But they just endorse what someone else is making and, because they are capitalizing on the celebs’ popularity to make a lot of money fast, not a lot of thought goes into the fragrances themselves which usually end up smelling pretty cheap.

Comments

I agree with you to a certain extend. Some of the celebrities did formulate their own perfumes. Sarah Jessica Parker did with hers, at least for Covet, which won the FiFi a couple of years ago. I tend to like the celebrity’s first perfume the most because of the originality. “Celine Dion”, Mariah Carey’s “M”, and of course “Covet” smell very good. After the first one came out, things started to smell the same to me.

Also, the price for celebrity perfumes is pretty cheap. I can find most of them in drugstores with discounts.

Dao, rereding it, maybe I worded it wrong. I don’t have a problem with celebs that formulate their own scents, it’s just that they seem to be the exception to the rule. Most of the time they just endorse a product not even knowing the notes it contains or anything else about it and that’s what annoys me.

I’ve heard the cost of producing most celeb fragrances is really small as they are mostly made of alcohol and water and only very little of the actual fragrance ingredients, so that’s why they can keep the prices so low. At least that’s what usually happens when celeb endorse something without being involved in the development process. The brand doesn’t bother to make it smell good as they know fans will buy in anyway. But like you pointed out, thank goodness there are exceptions and we do get some good fragrances every now and then.

I dislike most of them for the same reason you have mentioned but I found the Gwen Stefani ones quite adorable, at least the packaging…

Citrine, I love the packaging of the Gwen Stefani scents too, it’s adorable. Unfortunately the scents are too sweet for my tastes though. :(

Definitely agree that some celeb perfumes smell cheap, and they’re way too strong! I rarely use or care for celeb fragrances, but the ones I like most and have tried is the Paris Hilton “Siren”, Celine Dion and a Britney Spears one.
    Dee´s last blog post ..Sleek Palettes: Safari & StormMy Profile

Dee, I thought the Celine one was ok but nothing special. Instead, I really loved one from Britney, I think it was Believe. It wasn’t an unique scents but it smells lovely. I was actually surprised cos I was expecting to smell cheap and sweet like most celeb fragrances.

Trisha, I have a problem with that too. If they are involved in making the fragrance then it’s ok. But if they’re not, who knows what they are endorsing? The manufacters just uses inexpensive ingredient and dosn’t really care to make a good smelling fragrance as fans of the celeb will buy it anyway.

I haven’t smelled that yet, but you’re tempting me, sounds great!

Diyana, what a shame. I like Believe from Britney but some of her other fragrances are just meh..

Mylanqolia, I have a couple of celeb perfumes but they are small sample sizes. I’ve never smelled one yet that made me want to puchase the full size bottle. I agree with you that they all smell very similar and I love TBS scents too, they’re wonderful!