How to let your hair air dry

let hair air dry

I hate blow drying my hair. It’s so boring and tedious and feels like a chore. Not to mention that the heat from the blow dryer can damage hair causing it to become dry and brittle. So, now that the weather’s getting warmer again, I’m starting to get back into the habit of letting my hair air dry whenever I get a chance.

I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of letting hair air dye because it can take too long or they are afraid their hair will get frizzy or flat, but there are ways to avoid those things from happening. And in the meantime, you can also create some natural waves without the help of damaging styling tools. Here’s how:

Speed up drying time

Letting your hair air dry can take a lot of time, but there are a couple of things you can do to speed up the process. First off, blot your hair using a very absorbent towel to soak up and remove excess water. Be gentle and don’t rub your hair. Wet hair is fragile and rubbing it can lead to split ends and frizzy hair. Next, lift hair at the roots and fluff it up with your fingers. This will also help hair dry faster.

Avoid frizzy hair

Together with the long drying time, the tendency of hair to frizz when let air dry is the main reason why most people prefer to use a blow dryer instead. But using the right products, like a good leave-in conditioner or anti-frizz products, will tame your hair, preventing it from becoming frizzy. In addition, these products will also make your hair shiner and softer.

Add volume

If you wanna add some volume to your hair while letting it hair dry, simple comb it with your fingers: lift and fluff hair, placing your strands on the opposite side of your head to where they usually lay. If you have some, you can use condor clips to hold them in this position and, once hair is dry, simply comb it back.

Create natural waves

Creating waves naturally when hair is wet is easy and there are several ways to do it. Start by detangling your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Avoid brushes as wet hair is particularly delicate and vigorous brushing may cause damage. Then, twist the strands in a circular motion and secure it into a bun. Again, use condor clips if you have them to lock the bun in place. Once hair is dry and the clips gone, your hair will be naturally and beautifully wavy. In alternative, you can set each strand of hair into a braid or use rag rollers, sponge rollers or even pin curls instead to achieve the same results.

Do you have any more tips on how to let hair air dry?

Comments

I hate blow drying my hair too because it’s so boring, but I do it in the winter when it’s freezing. I like how my hair looks bigger when I blow dry it, but I’m too lazy to do it most of the time. I don’t really have any extra air drying tips – I do most of your tips already (except I already have naturally curly hair). Usually I just wear my hair in a ponytail so I don’t have to do anything with it.
    Jeni´s last blog post ..Maybelline Dream Matte PowderMy Profile

Jeni, I blowdry my hair in the winter too simply because I don’t have enough time to let it air dry when it’s freezing cold so I’m happy when the weather gets warmer and I can let it air dry again. Blowdrying gives a lot of volume, but I find that lifting hair and place it on the opposite site works quite well in making hair fuller too. :)

Anastacia, you’re welcome. I’m glad you like letting hair air dry too. It makes hair shinier and avoids some heat damage too. :)

Trisha, it’s nice to let hair air dry isn’t it? Flat irons can still cause some damage but if you don’t blow dry it as well it won’t be as bad. :)

I have to blow dry my hair because it’s really long now. When it was shorter, I used to air dry it in summer and it was lovely. Now, it would never air dry before the humidity kicks in and clump everything together.
    Dao´s last blog post ..Blue Steel FOTDMy Profile

Dao, what a shame! Blowdrying is such a hassle but I understand where you’re coming from. And your hair looks great. :)

Pinch, don’t do that! Your making your hair prone to breakage, split hands and other damages too. Wet hair is very fragile and needs to be treated gently. :)

I hate blow drying my hair too, but I’m doing it for 4 years now. Before that I didn’t use any hairdryer or hair strengthener and my ends were not so split like now and I didn’t even had to cut my hair so often. Now I can seem to get my hair to grow longer because all the time I have split ends (I cut my hair every 2-3 months). If I let my hair to dry naturally it looks frizzy and untamed. My hair gets a break though in the summer because it dries so fast if I stay a few minutes in the sun (that’s also not good for my hair but I think it’s better than hair dryer).
    Thanks for the article!

Tavia, oh that’s not good. It seems that whatever you do you can’t win! Have you tried using a leave-in conditioner or anti-freeze product when you let your hair air-dry? That usually tames frizzy hair for me. Or if you want to continue using a blow-dryer don’t keep it too close to your hair and don’t keep the temperature low. Also, you could use leave-in conditioners or heat protectants. They contain silicones that help protect hair from heat damage. :)

4. Ann says

Hi, I have some MAJOR frizz when I let my hair air dry or try to dry it any other way at all. What are some great, cheap anti-frizz products that can solve my frizzy hair problems once and for all and let it dry naturally? Thanks!

Ann, to tam frizzy hair you need a conditioner or hair treatment with silicones like Bumble & Bumble Defrizz. It’s not too expensive and it does its job well. Hope this helps.

5. fabbiha says

hi! i get really frizzy hair after i air dry my hair..but after like 2-3 days, the frizz completely goes away, and my hair is just wavy…and i hate blow drying my hair cuz it takes too long! can u tell me a way to make my hair not frizzy but without buying any prodcts? i want to use like cooking stuff..if u know wut i mean! also…do u know how not to get a bump in my hair after tying it into a ponytail? thx!

Fabbiha, you mean ingredients found in the kitchen? I’m afraid I don’t know any that can help with frizzy hair. I know you said you don’t wanna buy new products, but you should use a conditioner with silicones as they help tame frizzy hair.

And I’m afraid I’m not sure what you mean re the ponytail..

• QueenAnncan says

I have curly hair I think the best from the pantry for hair is rosemary it helps hair grow stimulate the scalp & olive oil honey apple cider vinegar gravesend &,almond oil are always in my bathroom… A teaspoon of acv in shampoo adds volume while cleansing warm in small dish honey tsp. Each of oils warm in hot glass of water let sit in hair after washing 10,30 minutes I use a plastic shower cap to keep it warm or blowdry with platic bag over hair for hot oil makes 2-3 treatments once a week at most I also use a,lil almond oil after condition/rinse to work as detangler & leave in conditioner all food grade safe &,work great… Mayo once a month as a mask warm flat beer as a rinse once a month… Hmmm I do a lot,to keep my natural blonde curly hair away from chemicals as possible.. Good luck

QueenAnncan, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m glad you’ve found a natural regimen that works well for you.

6. Angie Suarez says

I bet im your youngest reader (Im fourteen). I really loved your article. I have always suffered with frizz but the person that cuts my hair told me that my hair is just dry because I iron it to much and because I use hot water when I wash it. Since Im 14 I have to ask my mom to buy those products (It takes forever for her to buy me something). But Im going to take your information into consideration. thank you. :)

Angie, I’m glad you enjoyed the article. And I can relate to you. My mom took ages to buy me stuff too. But I’m sure if you tell your mum that your hair really needs it, she will get you these products, especially if you promise to use the iron a bit less. ;)

7. Eden says

Hi. I really want to start airdrying my hair but it looks so awful whenever I do! It is very fine and it looks so incredibly flat. I am going to try your trick for that and see how it goes. Do you have any other suggesions on top of that one?
    Thanks!

Eden, imo that’s the best and gentlest way to add volume to flat hair when airdrying. My hair is very fine and flat too and this method has always worked well for me. I’m sure it’ll work well for you too.