6 Tips to Treat Chapped Lips

Are you lips dry and chapped? The freezing weather we’re having at the moment can cause havoc on them, but it’s not the only culprit. The sun, dry air and the wind can all strip moisture from our lips, causing them to become dry and cracked. If you’re one of these unfortunate souls, fear not. Follow the tips below and your pout will be smiling again:

1. Don’t lick your lips!

When lips are dry and cracked, it’s really hard to resist the urge to lick them to get some relief. But you have to. While your lips may feel better for a few minutes, saliva can make moisture evaporate, drying your lips out even more.

2. Wear lip balm

Lip balms hydrate, moisturize, make lips soft and can help heal dry lips. However, not all lip balms are good for lips, especially when they are chapped. Avoid those that contain camphor, phenol and alcohol. Camphor is used to give lips a tingling and cooling sensation which gives lips a temporarily relief but also irritates them. Phenol is an irritant as well while Alcohol dries lips.

Always wear lip balm (vaseline works just as well too) before putting on any lip products and apply it  before going to bed too. I do this every night and while some people laugh at me and think I’m mad, I always wake up with soft and moisturized lips the next morning.

3. Exfoliate

I know that exfoliating is probably the last thing you want to do, but if done with a gentle scrub it can be beneficial for lips. That’s because exfoliation removes the upper dead skin cells, allowing lip treatments to be absorbed, and therefore perform, better.

4. Wear sunscreen

UV rays can damage lips even more, so make sure you opt for lip balms, lipsticks or glosses that contain SPF any time you go out to protect your pout.

5. Wear hydrating lippies and glosses

Even if your lips are chapped and dry, you can still wear lipsticks and glosses, as long as you choose products with a moisturizing texture like Lancome Color Fever Lipstick, for example.

6. Go to the doctor

If you’ve tried everything and still your lips haven’t improved, then you should go visit a doctor. Dry lips can be a symptom of an underlying condition, like vitamin deficiency for example, and your doctor will be able to diagnose the problem and prescribe the appropriate treatment for your condition.

Do you have other tips to heal or prevent chapped lips?

Comments

1. beautifulwithbrains says

Tavia, that’s too bad! But with the cold weather we’re having (it’s freezing here and I’m sure it’s much colder where you live), it’s easy to get chapped lips. I hope these tips will help and that’s good that you always have a lip balm with you. I have too and apply it often. Our lips need moisture in this cold! :)

I’m ashamed to say that I bite my lips, since I stopped to bite my nails (thanks to your post on the sucject). :-( So, I wish my lips would only be chapped. But great advice as always. By the way, are the lips on the picture yours? Damn, they look so full. You should definitely show your lips of the day! :-)
    .-= Mylanqolia´s last blog ..Artistic stuff: Frog queen for VD =-.

3. beautifulwithbrains says

Mylanqolia, I’m glad that post about nails helped you. I hope you’ll stop biting your lips now though, that’s not good hun! *hugs*

Yep, those are my lips and thanks. That would be a good idea but I’m afraid my lip combos aren’t as pretty or creative as my eye ones. I always wear such bright looks on the eyes so I tone the lips down by using pink glosses or lippies. Having said that, I’m trying to use more bright shades on the lips lately. :)

4. beautifulwithbrains says

All Women Stalker, that’s such a hard habit to break! But I’m sure you can do it, a little at a time. Your lips will thank you ;)

when i use clarins hydraquench cream mask on my face, i usually also apply it on my lips together. it works really well to hydrate, especially on chapped lips i can see immediate results

6. underestimate says

I have been trying everything to prevent chapped lips. My lips have been mistreated for a while so nothing really works. I ex foliate and put on Vaseline but my lips become the same after a while. i think the reason is my lips have been mistreated for a couple of years when I was a child. Some people I know never put any Vaseline or anything on and still never have any chapped lips ever. Why?

Underestimate, I’m sorry to hear that. Do you exfoliate and apply vaseline daily or only when your lips are chapped? Usually, moisturizing them daily should help prevent them from becoming chapped.