How to make perfume last longer

After years of searching, you have finally found your perfect signature scent. And you probably spent quite a lot for it too. But it has a huge flaw: it doesn’t last long. You spray it on in the morning and after a few hours, puff! It’s completely gone! That sounds awful, doesn’t it?

It’s things like that that could make you fall out of love with a fragrance and never use it again. Or make you reapply it several times a day and run out of it pretty fast. Well, there’s actually no need to do neither of these things. Just follow the tips below and you fragrance will last for hours and hours..

Why do some scents don’t last long?

Well, there are several factors that contribute to the staying power of a scent. The first thing to consider is what type of fragrance you’re buying. Perfume is the most concentrated type and therefore, the most longlasting. Eau De Cologne, on the other hand, is very light and has poor staying power.

Your skin type is another thing to take into consideration. Perfumes tend to evaporate quickly on dry skin and last longer on oily skin. That’s because oily skin contains more natural moisture that will retain the scent for longer.

The way fragrances are stored is important too. Keep the bottle in the box away from light and heat, which could ruin the scent and make it less long-lasting. Environment and individual body chemistry are also factors that could affect the staying power of a scent.

Prime & Layer

Just like makeup, fragrance needs a primer to make it last longer. But is there such a thing as a fragrance primer? Yes and you probably have it in your stash: lotion. A lotion will moisturize the skin so that the scent will last longer.

Your best bet is to use the matching lotion to the fragrance you’re using. A lot of brands, especially during the holidays, release kits that include perfume, body lotion and shower gel so that you can layer the scent starting from the shower. As a result, the scent will be more powerful and last longer.

If you don’t have the matching lotion to the fragrance and don’t want to buy it either, you can just apply any unscented moisturizer of your choice. A scented lotion is not recommended because it may clash with your fragrance and make you smell bad. Of course you could still use it but test it before going out, so you’ll know how the scents will smell once combined.

In alternative, you can also use jojoba oil or vaseline. Just apply them on the spots where you’re going to spray the fragrance. They’ll do the trick too and are so inexpensive!

Spray the fragrance in the right places

I’ve also noticed that where you spray the fragrance also matters. For instance, fragrances last longer on me when I spray them on my wrists and at the base of my throat. That’s because in these places, called pulse points, the blood vessels are very close to the skin and release more heat, which boosts the fragrance. Other pulse points include the temples, back of knees, inside of the elbows, ankles and between the breasts.

Have you got any more tips to make a fragrance last longer? Share them in the comments.

Source

Comments

Hi Gio! Good tip with the pulse point between your breasts but I think many women already use that even if they don’t know the meaning :). Another tip will be to not use perfume after you’ve made a shower. It’s recommended to use perfume after at least 30 min after you’ve took a shower. The explication was something about the pores being opened and the perfume will not persist.
    .-= Tavia´s last blog ..Isadora Nostalgia – New Wonder Nail colors for Spring 2010 =-.

2. beautifulwithbrains says

Tavia, thanks and I agree with you. I’ve always sprayed perfume on my wrists even before I knew the reason why it’s better to apply it there. I recently found out why it works so I thought I’d share ;) And thanks for the tip :)

3. beautifulwithbrains says

prettybeautiful, I’m glad I could help. Moisturized skin will retain the fragrance for longer and if you use the matching one it will be more powerful and longlasting as well. :)

4. vnssa906 says

I see someone already posted my tip! Applying scents when you’re fresh out the shower usually does the trick for me… my Marc Jacobs Daisy stays on all day! … I will def. try the lotion trick :)

5. chloe says

Thanks for the tip, I never knew the reason for spraying on your neck and wrists before reading this :)
    I’d just like to know whether its worth spraying perfume on clothes, or will it just wear of straight away ?
    Thanks :)

Chloe, you’re welcome. About perfume on clothes, it really depends on the fabric. It works better on natural fabrics like velvet, linen or cotton (it may stain silk though, so beware) than synthetic ones. I hope this helps.

6. Jenny says

Thanks for the info! I just bought a fragrance I LOVE (after MUCH searching!) only to find out it doesn’t last long and I have to keep respraying! :( I was searching for perfume primers and came upon your blog. So excited to try vaseline or unscented lotion instead of shelling out more money for some special product. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jenny, you’re very welcome. It’s quite dishearting to finally found a great fragrance only to find out it doesn’t last long but I’m sure these tips will fix the problems. And I’m glad I could help. :)

I live in a very hot weather. That makes my perfume selections very less. I cant wear heavy or strong fragrances. The heat makes our skin so sweaty. It is difficult to use it on the skin. So in this climate we have to find a way to keep the perfume last longer. one is to have a shower with the same shower gel of the perfume, then use the body spray and deodorant with same collection. always use the aude toilet not au de perfume. its lighter and better to be away from the sun because it let the perfume vaporate faster.

Muzoona, I’m sorry you have such limited choice in the climate you live, but thanks for sharing these wonderful tips with us.

8. Morgie says

Thankyou for all these wonderful tips! I recently brought Chloe Narcisse and it is a very strong and sweet perfume but after 5 hours it fades.. Is there anyway I could make it last a little while longer? My daughter also wants to know where to put perfume so that when you walk past someone they smell it on you? Xx

Morge, you’re welcome. To make a fragrance last longer, you need to layer it. You can use the matching body lotion to the fragrance or, in alternative either an unscented moisturizer or vaseline.

I usually apply a perfume on the wrists and neck. You can spray it on your chest too, but whether other people will smell it on you, it depends on the strength of the perfume. A good perfume would leave a trail behind it, but there are also those that keep close to the skin and, unless you apply a huge amount, other people won’t be able to smell it unless they are very close to you. Hope this helps.

Trackbacks