4 Tips to Prolong the Shelf-Life of Razors

prolong razor shelf life

The part of my beauty routine that I hate the most is shaving. It’s boring and if feels likes such a chore! Unfortunately that’s something that I have to do every day (or every couple of days if I’m lazy) because, using razors, hair tends to grow back again very soon.

I tried depilatory creams but they didn’t work for me and waxing is painful. Besides, nothing gives me a quick and close shave like razors do. The only problem is, those blades seem to turn dull pretty fast! And buying new ones all the time can be expensive.

Luckily, there are a few things you can do to prolong the shelf-life of your razors that will keep both your skin and wallet happy. Here’s how:

Clean the blade: after shaving, always wash the blade to remove all traces of shaving creams or whatever other product you use instead, dirt and hair. This will keep the blade sharp and working properly.

Dry the blade: water can corrode the blade, which can cause it to become jagged. To prevent this from happening, gently dry it with a towel. In alternative, you can dry the blade with a blow-dryer but don’t use it for too long. A few seconds should be enough.

Don’t store the razor in the bathroom: this will avoid the blades being exposed to the steam and humidity every time you take a shower.

Use alcohol: rubbing some alcohol on the blade after every use will keep it clean and disinfect it too.

Do you use razors to shave? if so, what do you do to prolong the shel-life of the blades?

Comments

1. 1

says

Well I dunno what to say about that, I’m waxing in the classic way with hot wax at beauty salon. I’ve been doing this for 10 years now and the roots are very thin now and they hair is very rare. This year when I was in Siberia for 3 months I couldn’t find a salon that used classical wax and I was very disappointed because after 3 months of waxing with their wax (one time use wax) my hair become thicker and was not so rare. After I came back in my country and use the normal wax again, it hurt very much the first session because the roots were already become stronger.
    .-= Tavia´s last blog ..My experience at Make Up For Ever and Sephora beauty shops =-.

2. 3

beautifulwithbrains says

Tavia, I could never wax, it sounds too painful! Well, I could probably stand the pain, I just don’t want to lol. But it’s great that made your hair thin and rare, lucky you! That’d be a dream come true for me. It’s a shame they didn’t have the classical wax in Siberia but I hope now the pain’s more bearable.

3. 4

beautifulwithbrains says

Fabulessbeauty, you’re welcome. Well, that depends on how often you use it and the thickness of the hair but usually, the average is 10-15 days. But since I started using this tips, it can last me up to a month ;)

4. 6

beautifulwithbrains says

Dao, thanks. I agree with everything you said, shaving is such a pain but unfortunately it’s necessary. I feel for men that do it daily but then they’re lucky cos they can decide not to do it for days and no one says anything lol.

5. 7

says

I keep mine in a drawer in the bathroom, and change the blade every three months. Hmm I really should use some rubbing alcohol on mine just to give it a good clean. I don’t reckon whacking it against the wall to dislodge the hairs clean it much :P

6. 8

beautifulwithbrains says

Tine, lol, don’t think that does. And I’m anal about the alcohol thing. If I use a razor, I have to disinfect it. You should try it, it works great :)