Makeup Packing Tips For One Bag Trips

one bag travel tips
I’m a big fan of packing lightly. Whenever I travel I  only bring one bag, a pink wheeled trolley bag to be precise. I don’t see the point in bringing my entire wardrobe and makeup closet with me. A girl needs to be ready for every occasion, but carrying around three or four heavy bags full of stuff that you know you’re never going to use is no fun!

In addition, when you travel only with one bag, you can carry it with you everywhere, even on planes, so you don’t have to worry about items being stolen from it  or your luggage getting lost. And with most airline companies starting to charge fees for checked in bags, you can save money if you only bring one suitcase with you.

But just because you’re bringing only one bag doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to look your best. You just need to be more selective of what you pack. I like to bring a couple of comfortable shoes and some classic pieces of clothing that are suitable for most occasions. As for my makeup and beauty items, here’s what I do:

one bag travel tips 03

Pack only what you’re gonna use

I’m always tempted to bring with me about 10 lipglosses or 7 blushes for example, but I know I will never be able to use them all. So, I only pack a pink blush and one pink and one nude lipglosses as they go well with any makeup look. Other things I carry are mascara, foundation, concealer, lip balm and black eyeliner. I never bring colored ones unless I’m absolutely sure that I’m going to wear them. I always pack brushes too but I keep them to a minimum. I like to bring my ELF eyeshadow brush as I can use it to apply my entire eye makeup if I need to, a crease brush and a couple of face brushes. Things like foundation or concealer, I just apply with my hands. It works just as well and saves me space in my bag.

Bring palettes

Palettes are very versatile and perfect for travelling. Instead of bringing 10 or 15 eyeshadows, I just bring one palette with both neutral and colorful shades so that I can create endless makeup looks with it. Some brands like MAC or MUFE also sell empty palettes that fit most eyeshadows so you can choose which colors to bring with you. Some palettes also contain blushes, lipsticks and glosses but I’m not a big fan of them as usually the powder gets everywhere and makes a huge mess. For a short trip, and as long as you keep them clean, these can be very handy though.

one bag travel tips 02

Travel-size products

Skincare products can be pretty bulky and take up a lot of space in your suitcase. There is no way that you can finish a whole bottle while on holiday (unless it is a VERY long holiday or the container is almost empty of course) so what I do is buy those small travel size containers and pour my favourite lotions in them. In alternative, you can go to your local beauty store or counter and ask for samples of your favourite skincare products. In addition, many brands are releasing travel size kits with their most famous and popular products so you can consider getting one of those if you’re planning a trip.

Liquid restrictions

If you’re travelling by plane and never check in bags, like me, make sure you are aware of liquid restrictions. You are only allowed to take with you on board liquid or gel products that come in containers that hold 3 ounces or less and they all have to fit into a quart size top plastic bag. Also, opt for powder product whenever possible.

Go shopping when you get to your destination

Another reason why I don’t like to bring too much makeup with me when I travel is that I always end up buying lots of new products once I reach my destination. I like going shopping while on a trip, especially if I go abroad, and having a chance to try new products that aren’t available where I live. I always get overexcited and end up buying too much! If you’re like me, and don’t have too much space left in your bag but don’t wanna buy another one, you can just ship your items home.

Do you have any more tips about travelling with one bag?

Comments

I always bring a lot of stuff whenever I go on a trip. Now, the airlines companies charge money for extra bag (we only allow to check in 1) and have liquid restriction. Therefore, I’ve learned to pack wisely. Love your carry on, it is so cute and you definitely have no problem fishing it out from a bunch of black luggage :)
    .-= Dao´s last blog ..Joyous FOTD =-.

2. beautifulwithbrains says

Marce: hi and thanks, I hope you find them helpful. I’m sorry you had trouble with liquid restrictions, they’re such a pain! I know what you mean lol, I’d need a whole suitcase just for my makeup if I were to bring it all with me ;)

3. beautifulwithbrains says

Nikki: I’m glad you like it hun. I’m the same as you, I bring as less makeup as possible when I travel. There’s no point in bringing stuff that I won’t use. And if I need more, I can always buy once it when I reach my destination. :)

4. beautifulwithbrains says

Dao: I think packing only the essentials is better when you travel, especially considering all the luggage restrictions that have been introduced lately. If you forget something you can always buy it when you get to your destination.

Thanks, it was a present from my mom, she knows how much I love pink! I used to have a black bag before but I was always worried it would get confused with someone else’s so I would decorate it. But now I don’t have to worry about that anymore. :)

This is some advice I sorely need to follow… I’m going to California in a few months and I plan on only taking one suitcase plus a carry-on bag, but I’m such a ridiculous over packer, especially when it comes to makeup! It always ends up the same way: “Rebecca, you do not need 10 different eyeshadow quads! You’re going away for a week!”
    “Yeah, but what if I have to go to a fancy restaurant for dinner one night, and then out to a club right after, and then out with my grandparents the next day, etc. etc.”
    And of course the completely irrational side always wins :P
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Search for my Mascara Soul-mate, part 3: the Colossal Volum’ Express =-.

6. beautifulwithbrains says

Rebecca, I hope these tips will help you. California must be a lovely place, I hope you’ll have a great time while you are there :) eheh I know what you mean, you never know what’s gonna happen so you need to be ready for all occasions. But I think keeping everything to a minimum is best. A palette with neutral and colorful shades and a nude lip color would suit most occasions for example and if not, you can always go shopping while you’re there, it’d be fun!

7. beautifulwithbrains says

Tavia: pink luggage is cute isn’t it? You lived in Siberia for three months? That’s interesting. I agree with you, in such a cold climate rich and very hydrating skincare products are more important than makeup.

Anastacia: thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed the post. And I think simple is always best ;)

8. Pearl says

I’ll be staying in portsmouth for twelve months and I think just one luggage wouldn’t be enough for me, am I right or wrong ?

Trackbacks