Know Your Ingredients: Glyceryl Stearate

glyceryl stearate

What it is
Glyceryl Stearate (also called Glyceryl Monostearate) is a white or cream-coloured solid made from glycerin and stearic acid (a fatty acid obtained from animal and vegetable fats and oils).

What it does
Glyceryl Stearate is an emollient that softens and moisturizes skin and hair.
In addition, Glyceryl Stearate is used as a thickening agent.

Side effects
Glyceryl Stearate is a very mild irritant and can cause allergic reactions.

(Source: paulaschoice.com)

Comments

1. beautifulwithbrains says

Dao, sometimes the most common ingredients are the most overlooked too, but it’s still useful to know what they’re doing. I’m glad you were right about it too :)

Glyceryl stearate is really just an emulsifer. It doesn’t really do much of any of the other things you are suggesting here. It is also very very unlikely to cause much in the way of allergic reactions at the levels it is normally used at.
    Colin´s last blog post ..Benzyl AlcoholMy Profile

Colin, thanks for your comment. The Cosmetics Cop and Cosmeticsinfo.org state that Glyceryl Stearate is also an emollient, skin lubricant and thickener so that’s why I included those functions in the post. I guess it’s used mainly as an emulsifier and just sometimes for other reasons, then.

I agree with you that there really isn’t much chance of it causing a negative reaction but I thought I would point that out for people whose skin is very sensitive and gets irritated easily.

• Johanna says

That happened to me. I used a product containing glyceral stearate 3 times on my hands. I developed redness and itching. It took 4 days of a 1% steroid cream to alleviate the problem.

3. Beti says

Beautifulwithbrains, than you for covering all the basis. I am one of those with sensitive skin and a ‘natural’ deodorant product I’m using works good, but it irritates my skin. It could be any of the ingredients but Glyceryl Sterate was the first one I investigated.

Beti, you’re welcome. I’m sorry the deodorant you’re using is irritating your skin. I hope you can figure out what the culprit is.

• Gio says

Erika, frankly I don’t know what the best ingredients for making candles are because I never made them myself. I don’t think I have ever seen this one in any candles though.

• Gio says

Marci, glad you find this post helpful. Alcloxa is used to induce a tightening or tingling sensation of the skin, but can cause irritation in some people, especially those with sensitive skin.