Looks: Orange

Hey ladies,

time to show you another EOTD. This time I wanted to do something very wearable using orange and copperish-brown shades. I don’t really like how the look came out though, as I don’t think this color combo suits me. It actually makes me look washed out and sick. Do you have any suggestions on how I could improve it?

orange 01

orange 02

Products used:
– Urban Decay Primer Potion
– Sleek Chaos eyeshadow palette (orange and white)
– Sleek Original eyeshadow palette (copperish shade and black)
– L’Oreal Telescopic Explosion mascara

Directions:
Apply Urban Decay Primer Potion all over lid as a base.
With an eyeshadow brush, apply a matte orange shade (I used the one in Sleek Chaos palette) on the lid and crease.
Using a crease brush swipe a copperish shade (I used the one in the Sleek original palette) on the crease and darken the outer corner with a black shade.
Apply a white shade on the browbone to highlight.
Finish off with mascara.

Comments

Woah Gio, that’s got to be one of the most beautiful crease colors ever! I love the combo :)
    Maybe adding a coppery/brown eyeliner on the upper lashline would give extra definition and “separate” the eyeshadows from your eye so you won’t look washed out. I don’t think this look makes you look sick anyway, really :D . Oranges and reds are difficult to wear but I really like how this came out!
    Hugs :3
    .-= Eru´s last blog ..Dior Fall 09: Smoky Jazz Palette =-.

Orange eyeshadows have that “red-eye” effect that I do not love. I used to do an orange-gold-brown combo and it works better. You can apply the orange color on your eyelid, gold to contour, and brown near your lashes. I guess the gold and brown helps to brighten it up.

I love the way you define your crease. It looks lovely!
    .-= Dao´s last blog ..MAC 168 Brush: Fabulous for Contouring =-.

3. beautifulwithbrains says

Jojoba: thanks! I’m glad you like it :)

Nikki, Jenn and Jamilla Camel: thanks girls! :)

Eru: thanks, you’re so sweet. Thanks for your suggestion, I’ll try that :)

Dao: thank you! I know what you mean about orange eyeshadow. It’s not an easy color to wear. That’s a lovely combination! It’d work well, I’ll have to try it, thanks. I never really know what to do with brown eyeshadow, I usually use brighter colors :)

I’m loving the blending and colours, but it does have that sickly effect the way pink eyeshadow often does. I stick with my previous suggestion on the link look – use definite black eyeliner, it creates a barrier between the colour and your eyes, and helps to stop that sickly look.
    .-= Anastasia´s last blog ..Dream, brother. =-.

5. beautifulwithbrains says

Anastasia: thanks. Yeah, orange and brown/copper combos don’t work too well for pale skin. I need to use eyeliner more often, it just takes me too long to apply it! I’m thinking of purchasing an eyeliner brush, can you believe I don’t have one yet? I never felt I needed it cos I usually use pencils, but maybe application will be easier with a brush. I’m debating whether to get the Ecotools eyeliner brush or the ELF one as I don’t wanna spend too much. It’ll have to wait till my next paycheck anyway, but I hope once I have a brush, I can finally use liner a lot more often.

Vonvon: thank you! And thanks for your suggestion, I think that would really brighten the look up :)

Connie: thank you. It is really very wearable, unlike most of the looks I usually do. I like the color combo, I just don’t think it’s very flattering to pale skin.

Maybe you can add a gold shimmer or a silver shimmer in the middle of your eyes to add a little dimension. You can also add a shimmery liner to your eyes as well. I don’t think this makes you look washed out though. I think you pulled it off real nicely. (:
    .-= Dee´s last blog ..Mini Haul: Merlot, ELF, Forever 21, etc. =-.

I find a sharpened UD pencil in Zero is easiest for me, now. It’s so smooth and black that I no longer have any problem getting a nice straight line with it.

If I want to guarantee a thinner line though, I use blacktrack MAC Fluidline and apply it by dabbing a small angled liner brush right at the very base of my lashes, I do that all the way along to like plant it there, and then start to smooth the line out.

I don’t know if you remember eons ago me reviewing the Silk Naturals Ultimate Eye brush, but I use the liner end of that. You don’t need an expensive brush, anything this shape will work:

Like a brow brush. I prefer it to eyeliner brushes like the MAC 209 because the flat edge means it’s easier to get a straight line.
    .-= Anastasia´s last blog ..Dream, brother. =-.

8. beautifulwithbrains says

Dee: thank you! I like the idea of a shimmering eyeliner, I will have to try that, thanks.

Anastasia: I have a couple of Pupa and Max Factor pencil liners but they are not true blacks and while it easy to draw a straight line with them, getting a thin line takes me a lot time. My lid is very small so if I draw a thick line I may just as well not bother applying eyeshadow at all. I have a Prestige pencil liner that makes application easy and fast but it’s green and keeps breaking, which is what puts me off getting the one in black.
    Thanks for the tips, I’ll have a look around for a brush like that. I have one that shaped like that but it’s quite old and not in a good condition anymore. May still work though, at least until I find something better, I’ll have to try it.
    I’m leaning towards getting the EcoTools brush set at Makeup Masala shop so that I can also purchase the Coastel Scent gel liner with it. I haven’t tried gel liners yet cos the ones available here are pretty pricey and I’d like to experiment with something cheaper first. I don’t want to buy an expensive liner only to realise it doesn’t work for me and end up not using it. But I don’t really need the other brushes in the set (although you can never have too many brushes lol), so I’ll have to see what’s the best but cheapest option is.

Anastacia: thanks! :)

9. beautifulwithbrains says

Thanks, Blu3. I really have to try orange and gold then, sounds like a lovely combo and would brighten up the look too :)