DIY Beauty: Chocolate Facial

chocolate

I love chocolate. It tastes delicious and eating some always makes me feel better after a tiring day. And it’s good for my skin too!

Chocolate properties

Chocolate is made from cocoa beans, which are very high in polyphenols, a group of substances (including flavonoids), that have strong antioxidant properties. In addition, chocolate contains fats (like shea butter and cocoa butter), which have moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties.

Lately, spas have started offering chocolate facials to their clients, but if you have some bars of dark chocolate lying around, you can make your very own facial mask.

How to make a chocolate facial mask

Ingredients:
– 1/3 cup of dark cocoa
– 1/4 cup of honey
– 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons of powdered oatmeal

Mix all the ingredients together. Apply the mixture on the skin and wait 15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.

My experience

I don’t make this mask often cos I honestly prefer to eat chocolate than applying it on my face (seems like a waste, doesn’t it?). But the mask makes my skin so soft and smooth and I always have a bit (or two) of chocolate while preparing it. Yummy and relaxing. :)

Have you ever tried a chocolate facial before?

Comments

1. beautifulwithbrains says

I think you will love it Dao, it makes skin really soft and smooth! I still have a bit while making the mask but how can you resist eating chocolate? It’s so yummy! :)

Linda, with homemade products it’s always best to make enough for one use, and use them straight away. If you want to make a bigger batch, you should store it in the fridge and use it all within a few days.

2. Amie says

Hi, do you have to use cream for the mask? Can you omit this ingredient completely? What is the benefit of using the cream?

Amie, cream doesn’t have any benefit for the skin, it is simply used to help form a paste. I suppose you could skip it, but then the consistency may be too liquidy and messy to use.

3. Ashley says

My 7 year old is having a spa birthday party and I would love to make this for them. I have 12 little girls coming how big of a batch would you suggest me making? Also by powdered oatmeal do you just take oat meal and put it in a blender? Thank you so much Im very excited to find this recipe.

Ashley, I wouldn’t recommend making too big a batch because DIY recipes need to be used quickly as, not having preservatives, they expire soon. The doses above are recommended for an adult, so I’d say multiply them for 6 and you should have enough. If not, you can always make more. And for oatmeal, it’s better to use a coffee grinder.

And happy birthday to your daughter! I hope she and her friends will have a great time at the party.

Trackbacks