Are you addicted to lip balm?

Hello,

I’m Giorgia and I’m a lip balm addict. I have at least a dozen lip balms laying around the house and every time I go out I have to make sure I have one with me. I apply lip balm on my lips at least 20 times a day. I also apply it every night before I go to sleep. I just can’t live without it.

Recently, I stumbled on an article in a magazine that mentioned lip balm addiction and it got me thinking: am I really addicted to lip balm? I mean, I’ve always used them because I like how they feel on my lips, they taste and smell good and some of them even give a hint of color.

But could lip balm cause a real physical addiction? I’ve done some research on the topic and here is what I found out:

Lip balms stop lips from producing natural moisture

When you apply lip balm, you create a barrier on the skin that slows down moisture loss. Because lips are moisturized, skin cells stop producing their own natural moisture. So, when you’re not using your lip balm anymore, it takes a while for cells to start producing natural moisture again. But in the meantime, your lips feel dry so you reapply your lip balm again. This make cells stop producing moisture until you don’t use lip balm anymore. And so on.

Drying ingredients

Some ingredients in your lip balms, such as fragrances, preservatives, lanolin and colorings can cause sensitivity and irritation. As a reaction to these ingredients, your lips feel dry. Another ingredient that can cause chapped lips is phenol. It is added in lip balms because it provides temporarily relief. However, it also an exfoliant that removes the top layers of the skin, causing lips to become dry.

Lip licking

Some lip balms smell great and taste so yummy we keep licking our lips. This causes them to dry out. Saliva evaporates quickly, removing not only the balm, but also the moisture from your lips, which are left feeling drier.

Psychological need

Some experts claim that lip balm addiction is a psychological need and not a physical one. People don’t apply lip balm because they need but because they are so used to doing it and so accustomed to the feel of moisturized lips, it becomes a habit hard to break.

As far as I’m concerned, I think my addiction is a psychological one. I’m so used to wearing lip balm, that I feel naked without it. What about you? Are you addicted to lip balm as well?

Comments

1. beautifulwithbrains says

Nicola: good for you! I’m trying to use it less but it makes my lips so soft and tastes so good it’s hard to break the habit!

Citrine: lipglosses can be very addicted too, I love how shiny they are and some of them contain moisturizing ingredients too :)

Connie: thanks, That’s good for you, there’s no need to use lip balms if you don’t have to. I need to learn that too lol

Hanna: I don’t think anyone is as bad as me lol. But I can’t help it, like you said it’s nice to have soft and moisturized lips.

Dee: well done, I need your self control too.

Celeste: yeah! But at least it’s not a dangerous addiction. thanks.

Fabulessbeauty: I feel exactly the same :)

Ahleessa: you’re not addicted hun, lucky you. It’s nice to hear you apply lip balm before going to sleep too, my boyfriend thinks I’m crazy to do that.

Tine: I could never do that! lol Even though my lips feel ok when I don’t wear lip balm and I know I don’t need it, I still have to use it, I just can’t be without.

I don’t like lip balm much. Is that weird? I don’t really like the way it feels on my lips unless I’ve exfoliated them, it feels like just rubbing something slippery and slidey over dry, flakey skin, which is unpleasant and sort’ve pointless.

I do, however, very much want to try the Lip Slip by Sara Happ http://sarahapp.com/?p=view_product&product_id=20 in the hope that it will really moisturise my lips instead of just making them slippery.
    .-= Anastasia´s last blog ..The Goggles, They Do Nothing. =-.

I have an almost embarrassing addiction to lip balm! I have them on the kitchen counter, my robe pocket, bedroom and probably 4 in my purse at any given time….and I can’t stop buying them :-).

4. beautifulwithbrains says

Anastasia: that’s not weird. I’m weird that I apply it all the time even tough I don’t need, which, I have to agree with you is kinda pointless. But I can’t help myself.
    I want to try that too but it’s so expensive! It’s better moisturize lips for the entire day for that price!

Angie: I’m afraid I’m just as bad at you. But they feel so nice, don’t they?

I’m applying lip balm as I type this! I am completely addicted to Chapstick Moisturizer (the blue tube). Every day I live in fear that it will be discontinued, because I probably tried 50 different lip balms before I found it, and nothing worked on my super chapped lips. And I’m also addicted to lipgloss, but who isn’t?
    Jeni´s last blog post ..Discontinued Makeup And Beauty ProductsMy Profile

Jeni, I’m a lip balm addict and tried lots of them but have never used the blue Chapstick Moisturizer. Think I’ll have to give that one a go too as it sounds wonderful and I’m glad it works so well for you. I hope it never gets discounted too. And I’m addicted to lipgloss too eheh, have way too many of them. :)

Prettykitty, lol. I love lip products too. It’s easy to become addicted to them but I’m glad you’re not. :)

6. jesca says

hey, im very addicted to lip balm i have LOADS everywere, i have to make sure i have one befor i go out anywere even swimming!!!!!
    crazy i know but my lips get sour and dry out!! i have reacently stoped using it its been a day and my lips kill! i need to kick this habbit its soo annoying

Jesca, I’m just like you, I have to have a lip balm with me everywhere I go too. I just can’t be without it.

I’m sorry that your lips get dry. It may be an annoying habit to have but if you need it to keep your lips moisturized, it’s not easy to stop.

7. suzq57 says

I finally found my favorite lipbalm. It is called lip session. I used tobuy it in durg stores then I couldn’t find it. I found it on E Burnham Cosdmetics website site. It is not sticky, tastes good (I like orignal) and it als helps with sore lips and cold sores! What a combo!

8. Beate says

I’ve never loved using lip balm, but succumbed to a blogger’s review and love for Carmex, so I bought it, and I am happy to see, that it will be gone in a couple of weeks.
    It’s not that I don’t use those kind of products, but somehow I started to use “milking grease” in my teens. I apply the tinies amount after brushing my teeth. (PETROLATUM · PANTHENOL · GLYCINE SOJA OIL · HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL · LANOLIN · ARACHIS HYPOGAEA OIL · ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE · PARFUM · CALENDULA OFFICINALIS FLOWER EXTRACT · JUGLANS REGIA SHELL EXTRACT · BETA-CAROTENE · DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA ROOT EXTRACT · TOCOPHEROL.)
    I know, it’s not the most ethically correct product but I have such a tub of this grease for three years, and it costs near to nothing. I’ve never since then had problems with my lips. The only time I will put a bit of the product in a tiny tub to accompany me, is when I travel, as I’m then out in the elements for days and days.

Beate, I’m glad you found something that works well for you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. :)