22 Beautiful Uses For Vaseline

Vaseline, a.k.a. petroleum jelly is a beauty staple that every girl should have in their makeup bag. There are a zillions of uses for it and it is so inexpensive! Here’s some beauty related tricks you can do with vaseline:

1. Lip balm: moisturizes and soothes chapped lips but it doesn’t taste good.

2. Moisturizes dry skin.

3. Hand and feet moisturizer: it hydrates and smooths chapped hands and feet. Apply some petroleum jelly to your hands and feet and then put on mittens and socks. Wait about 10-15 minutes for the vaseline to soak into the skin. The result? Smoother and softer skin.

4. All over moisturiser: apply petroleum jelly all over your body after a bath. It will leave your skin soft and smooth.

5. Eye makeup remover: removes even the most stubborn mascara and soothes the eye area.

6. Scrub: mix petroleum jelly with sea salt to make your own scrub.

7. Night cream: it can be used as a night cream but you need to warm it up first.

8. Protects manicure: putting some vaseline on the base of your nails will stop the color from running.

9. Shaving: just put a very thin layer on the area that needs shaving and shave. Don’t use water. Also don’t apply too much product or it will plug up your razor. In addiction, vaseline can get a bit greasy, but it will leave your skin soft, smooth and moisturized.

10. Highlighter: apply it on cheeks and undereye area for that dewy look.

11. Softens elbows: apply some vaseline to elbows daily. It will soften them.

12. Lipgloss: apply some lipliner all over your lips and top it off with vaseline for instant shine.

13. Maintains fragrance longer: apply a thin layer of vaseline on your wrist before spraying perfume on. It will make the scent last longer.

14. Lip exfoliant: apply petroleum jelly to your lips and wait a few minutes. Then, using an old toothbrush, scrub your lips. This will exfoliate lips, leaving them very soft.

15. Protects skin from hair dye: apply some vaseline around the hairline before coloring your hair to protect your skin from the harsh chemicals contained in the dye.

16. Conditioner: Apply some to the scalp before shampooing to condition it.

17. Seals in split ends: if you put some vaseline on your split ends, it will seal them in and make it look like they aren’t there. But don’t do this too often as it will take a couple of shampoos to remove vaseline from your hair.

18. Cream blusher: mix some vaseline with your lipstick to make your own cream blusher.

19. Prevents uneven tanning: just put some on dry spots before applying fake tanning lotions.

20. Moisturize and tame eyebrows: putting a small amount of vaseline on your brows before going to bed will not only moisturize them, but it will mould them into place too.

21. Prevents chafing: just apply some vaseline on the areas that need it, such as heels and the balls of feet.

22. Stains remover: it removes makeup stains from clothes.

Do you know other ways to use vaseline? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

1. Amy says

I guess my nose is very sensitive, because my nose tends to bleed a lot. So my mom told me to put dab a Q-tip in Vaseline and rub the inside of my nose with it. Sounds rediculous but it actually really helps to prevent nose bleeds. I call it painting my nose. :)

2. Kathy says

I live in Canada and when it gets really cold here I put Vaseline on the kids’ faces to protect from wind burn/frostbite

3. Maddie says

Instead of using mascara, you can brush it onto your eyelashes and it makes them look really really pretty. :)

Wow! I never thought to use vaseline as eye makeup remover and I always have the hardest time getting my mascara off even with the expensive makeup removers! And as a conditioner too! Brilliant!

Rachel
    mommaonfire.blogspot.com

Rachel, do give it a try, I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s incredible how versatile such a simple and cheap product is, isn’t it?

5. LoliDolly says

If you dab it around your nails before you put polish on them, and then wipe it off, not only does it moisturize the skin around the nails, it prevents the polish from drying on your skin, and allows for a cleaner looking nail painting job!

6. bonnie says

if you rub a tiny bit of vaseline on your front teeth before you aply bright lipstick then you will not be left with red lipsticky smudges on your teeth when you smile, it stops it from transferring. :) x

7. Marche says

My grandmother once advised me to put Vaseline on my earlobes when my pierced ears closed up. She said to put in on the front and back of the earlobe before bed. The next morning, no more closed-up pierced ears. Kinda gross, i know, but it totally works.

8. Tainah says

You can put it on your eyelashes using a cue tip right before you go to bed and then when you wake up just simply take the rest still on there off with a tissue and then your lashes should become longer and have more volume after just a few uses ! (:

9. moriah says

I use it when I have a cold and my nose gets chapped from so blowing it so much! My husband also has psoriasis and we put it on his knees and wrap them up (we cut the feet off old socks) before bed, and it helps give him the extra moisture to help tone down the flakey skin!

10. carla says

If you ever burn yourself just put vaseline on the burn everyday until it heals!! Leaving no scar! My grandmas friend told me to do that when I burnt my chin with a straightener! And it was gone in 2 weeks with no scar left behind!

11. Trish says

I agree that there are a great many uses for Vaseline. However, it should not be used on burns. Always use cool water and aloe vera or something similar to help soothe burns. Using Vaseline can actually “trap heat” and cause your burn and pain to last longer. It’s ok to use Vaseline on a burn that has mostly healed if you want to moisturize that area. My mom is a nurse and this is one of her pet peeves, so I just wanted to share!

Trish, thanks for sharing. There is so much misinformation about there about vaseline and burns that it can be hard to know what to believe. Vaseline has been proven to help skin heal, but I guess there are better treatments for burns.

12. Robin says

If you rub it on your feet before you put on high heels it will protect them from blisters. Just don’t use too much or you’ll slip right out of your shoe!

13. Katie says

I use vaseline to prevent blisters. If you put a layer on your trouble spots (heels, sides of feet) it acts like a barrier for rubbing and prevents blisters the way a sock would.

you can make holiday lip balms with vaseline or petroleum jelly by just using any type of flavoring like (vanilla extract, pepper mint extract,….etc)

15. Jamie says

My favorite Vaseline tip: prevent and heal bruises! Years ago, a friend of my Mom’s told her to rub Vaseline on the area any time you thought you were going to bruise. She claimed never to get any bruises. I don’t know why this works, but it really does seem to help, even helps with existing bruises.

I saw on pinterest that putting vasrlin on your eyelashes will make them grow longer, and it works! Ive been doing it for awlie now and there getting more longer

17. diana says

You can also use Vaseline to bring out stubborn pimples and blackheads. Just dab some on the area leave for an hour or so and poof ready for removal :-)

18. Kayla says

Do does it really help with split ends? I am 13 years old and my ends are SO BAD, but we can’t afford to get them cut or whatever. So has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? If so, how excatly do I do it?

Kayla, yes, it helps by sealing them together so that hair looks healthy. However, the effect is only temporary. Vaseline can’t repair split ends and make them disappear. If you decide to use it, apply it on your split ends very sparingly. You need only a minuscule amount.

19. Kayla says

Thanks that helps, but when should I apply it? Like before I get in the shower, after I get out of the shower, or like whenever I want?

Kayla, definitely after a shower. If you wash your hair, most of the vaseline will be removed and you’ll have to apply it again. And you’re welcome.

20. Kayla says

Just one more question Can I apply it to dry hair? Like if I wake up in the morning and put a little on before school even though my hair is dry?

21. Rachel says

I am a paramedic – DO NOT USE THIS ON BURNS! It’s like the old wives tale of butter on burns! Bad news( I’ve seen the aftermath!)other than that I LOVE vasaline, all other uses were great!!

Rachel, thank you for your comment. After reading it, I’ve done some research and found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC286261/#ref2. It basically says that “Vaseline is not to be used as an immediate first aid measure for burns, but can be used as a subsequent dressing for minor burns.” So, it’s not useless but it has to be used very carefully and never on a fresh burn.

22. Hannah says

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that petroleum jelly is a byproduct of the process used to make gasoline. It is actually considered to be carcinogenic to your skin. There are so many other naturally derived oils that would work perfectly for any of these uses, such as coconut oil, avocado oil, beeswax, shea butter, or olive oil (which has the same pH balance as human skin). Organic, unrefined coconut oil is my favourite, plus you can find it any grocery store so it’s easily accessible.

Hannah, while it is true that vaseline is derived from oil, it undergoes a refining process that purifies it and removes all the bad, toxic stuff from it. At the end of this process, vaseline is a completely different substance from oil. They have different molecular structures, different benefits and even different side effects. And vaseline is perfectly safe.

Having said that, there are natural alternatives to it, as you mentioned. Personally, I prefer olive oil, but I still like to use vaseline as well. I like to have options.

• Cj says

“First, the mineral oil in petroleum jelly clogs your pores, leading to whiteheads and breakouts, so people with oily and acne-prone skin should steer clear. Petroleum jelly also breaks down the collagen in your skin over time, leading to the loss of the plumpness we all prize. Worst of all, it may also be carcinogenic, and the E.U., which is always one step ahead of the U.S. when it comes to cosmetics safety, has already banned many products containing petroleum jelly. Don’t just take my word for it: the famous Dr. Oz warns women that spreading petroleum jelly products on their lips leads to accidental consumption, which is “essentially the same as drinking gasoline.” “

Cj, I’m afraid I will have to disagree with Dr Oz and you on this one. Petroleum Jelly is derived from oil, but it undergoes a refining process that removes all its dangerous impurities. At the end of this process, petroleum jelly has a different molecular structure from oil, and therefore (like a doctor should know well) they are NOT the same thing. So, applying vaseline is NOT the same thing as applying gasoline.

The EU hasn’t banned petroleum jelly. I live in Italy and visited several european countries and many products with vaseline are sold here. What the EU did is simply ban from cosmetics unrefined petroleum jelly. Cosmetic grade petroleum jelly (the type without impurities) is safe and widely used here.

And vaseline on its own isn’t comedogenic, but because it can create an occlusive barrier on the skin, if your skin is dirty or you’re using products with comedogenic ingredients, they’ll get trapped into the skin and cause breakouts. If you apply vaseline on clean skin and pay attention to the other products you’re using, you shouldn’t experience any side effects. Despite this, there are better ingredients for oily skin. Vaseline works much better for dry skin.

Finally, as for petroleum jelly breaking down collagen, I have never found any evidence of it. Do you know of any scientific studies that have proved that, and if so, could you please share them with us?

23. Alena says

I like to wear eyeshadow all the time, except it never stays on because I do not own any eye primer, concealer, or liquid foundation. So, i decided to see if using some Vaseline on my lids would work, and it did!! You just need a very thin layer and I also like to use it on my lashes so it makes them thicker and fuller.

Alena, I didn’t know vaseline worked as an eyeshadow primer too! It really is a wonderful, versatile ingredient. Thanks for sharing.

24. liz says

These are definitely great tips for Vaseline use ^!… I use vaseline for:

To those who have thick legs like I, during the summer (mostly), when it’s hot and in shorts/skirt or even sometimes after coming out of the pool and wearing the swim suit to long, I get a rash in between my legs because my thighs rub together and Oh boy does that hurt. I shower right away, wash with soap, and then once dry i dab vaseline on the rash it definitely soothes and gone by the next day. or if u can’t shower right away dab some vaseline on it really helps and the swelling goes down.

also for those who sometimes have dark dry spots under the arm pit or even in between the breast ( i no weird, but it happens and its hard to get rid of with lotion, never goes away) , dab some vaseline on during the night after a shower and u will soon see nice, smooth, clean looking arm pits haha i used it once and i am now not ashamed of wearing sleeveless shirts lol the dark spots are gone =)

one last thing when your wearing heels and u need a fast in sole for your feet use a pad liner. (yes i said it!)
    1.) your feet will sweat and the pad will absorb it
    2.) the pad will give you cushion
    3.) the pad has a sticky side that will keep it in one place the whole night
    (so for those who use toilet paper, the pad is more discreet)
    4.)your feet will have support and the pad will mold to your feet

sorry so long,I hope this helps people out. =)

Liz, thank you for your long comment and sharing your experience with us. It’s definitely very helpful. :)

• Molly Mae says

Liz,
      Any guy or girl who has their legs rubbing together, should put baby powder on before doing any strenuous activity. That should keep you from having to put Vasiline on your chafed thighs.

25. Maria says

Very interesting comments. I started to use Vaseline few months ago and I just can’t believe the benefits! Honestly I use it from head to toe and every night. On the skin, be it on the face or body will leave your skin soft, suple and a healthy looking glow. It definitely helps strenghtening the eyelashes and eyebrows. I love it when I do facial exercises and I feel Vaseline acts a bit like a “frownie” during the night. Also wonderful for cuticles and split ends. Excellent mascara remover. I tried castor oil, coconut oil, vitamine E, nothing compares to Vaseline! It deserves to be transfered in a diamond studded jar!

Maria, I’m glad you love it so much too. It’s incredible how many uses it has, isn’t it? It’s so effective and versatile. It deserves its own diamond studded jar indeed!

Kimberley, I’m sure you’ll love how versatile vaseline is. And I’ll go check it out now.

Great share and vaseline is probably one of the most versatile beauty products that anyone can buy. I apply it to my eyelashes to help condition and make them appear longer. Of course you cant apply mascara after doing this so best done at night.
    Caroline´s last blog post ..Hemp hand protector saves the dayMy Profile

27. Maria says

A while ago I wrote about benefits of Vaseline. I recently discovered that somehow I got rid of a “mole” (at the base of neck) that had grown bigger over time. It just kind of started to detach, dry up and eventually fell. Since I don’t put anything else on my skin, I tend to attribute it to Vaseline. Just sharing here! I’m sure we’re not out of discoveries about Vaseline.

Maria, I had never heard of vaseline doing that before, but I’m glad that it worked for you. Thanks for sharing.

28. Molly Mae says

I noticed that people had already said you can make your own lip balm. You can also add tints to the them with either natural wax coloring or lipstick. Or you can go old fashioned and crush up berries. I haven’t personally done it but I know a friend that is very environmental who loved the creative side to mashing your own lip balm haha. I’m sure you could find it on Pinterest or Instructables

29. Aubrey says

I get a type of eczema-like dryness every winter on my arms and its super embarrassing! I put Vaseline on the dry skin and it disappeared overnight. I use it for everything!

30. Lucy says

Thanks for this article, a lot of these seem helpful. but I would be careful if putting it on your face because it can be really hard to get off and leave your skin feeling really greasy and not pleasant!

• Gio says

Lucy, vaseline is a great moisturizer, but I agree that not everyone may like how it feels on the skin. On the face, it should be used sparingly. Thanks for the reminder.

31. swan87 says

My father worked az a manager in a leading cosmetic house, and we had a big drum of Vaseline at our home which my father bought at dirt cheap price in the year 1995. It had kilos of Vaseline in it that we used till the year 2001. My father introduced thousands of uses and many of them we still apply today but our stock has finished. Lol. We use Vaseline as face cleanser. We rub it on the face, with lightly warm water soaked towel we wipe it out, and get oil free supple skin. Use it on cracked heels, knuckles, armpits, inner thighs, rashes, bruises, itches, creaking doors.. Side of feet, back and on back we wipe out n use it as a cleanser. Life is good when Vaseline is there

• Gio says

Swan87, how fortunate! I agree, life is wonderful indeed with vaseline, it has so many uses! Thank you for sharing some with us!

• Gio says

Kim, thank you for your comment. I have been researching cosmetic ingredients for years and I have yet to see any evidence that vaseline is harmful. The blogger who wrote the article you linked to said it too: “it’s surprisingly tough to find out what’s so bad about petroleum jelly”. If it were so dangerous, there’d be plenty of proof and it could be found easily!

Of course she then proceeds to list all the ways in which vaseline is bad for you anyway, but she doesn’t cite any sources to support her evidence. That makes me think that, like me, she hasn’t found any.

What vaseline does is create a barrier on the skin that prevents water loss, thus keeping skin hydrated. But there is absolutely no proof that it causes cancer or makes you age faster. A lot of these claims originated from brands selling natural products. Those are often less effective and more expensive, so some of these brands started spreading nasty rumours to scare consumers away from vaseline and other synthetic ingredients and buy their “safer” alternatives instead.

It is true though that vaseline is derived from a non-renewable source, so it’s not that good for the environment. If you care about that, by all means, avoid it. But using it won’t kill you nor make you age faster.

Trackbacks