Vaseline, also known as petroleum jelly, is a staple in my beauty bag. And it should be in yours too. It doesn’t look like much, and it is so inexpensive, but you can do a gazillion things with it.
Don’t believe me? Then, I’ll show you. Here are just 22 of my favourite beauty uses for vaseline:
1. Lip balm: when my lips get all dry and chapped in winter, I slather a thin layer of vaseline on my lips. The taste is awful, but my lips are all soft and moisturized again. Bye bye chapped lips!
2. Moisturizes dry skin: I have combination skin that gets drier around my cheeks in winter. When that happens, I simply apply some vaseline to the area, and voilà, skin is soft once again.
3. Hand and feet moisturizer: harsh winter weather causes havoc on my skin. And, after months of being hidden under clothes and boots, my feet need some TLC. The solution? You guessed it, vaseline. I apply some on my hands and feet, put on either gloves or socks, and wait about 10-15 minutes, to give vaseline time to soak into the skin. When I take my gloves/socks off, my hands/feet are sooo soft!
4. All over moisturiser: my skin gets insanely dry in winter. I blame it on a combination of freezing cold weather and relaxing hot showers. If I’ve run out of my beloved Haus Of Gloi Pumpking Butters, I’ll apply vaseline on my body. Works a treat.
5. Eye makeup remover: when I run out of makeup remover, I turn to vaseline. Does the job quickly and effectively.
6. Scrub: I’m not a big fan of scrubs. I prefer chemical exfoliants these days. But if you like to use a good scrub, you can make your own by mixing petroleum jelly with sea salt. Easy peasy.
7. Night cream: I don’t like to bring a lot of products with me when I’m travelling. If it’s a short trip, I’ll just use vaseline as my night cream. It does the job well, and I couldn’t leave it at home anyway. It’s so useful! Just remember to warm it up first.
8. Protects manicure: before painting my nails, I always make sure to apply some vaseline at their base. It prevents the color from running.
9. Shaving: when I run out of shaving cream, I use vaseline. I slather a very thin layer (don’t use too much, or it’ll plug up your razor!) on the area that needs shaving and shave. No need to use water. The best part? Skin is super smooth afterwards!
10. Highlighter: strobing is all the rage now. I wouldn’t suggest using vaseline for that, but you could use the tiniest bit on your cheeks and undereye area for that dewy look. I do sometimes.
11. Softens elbows: my mom’s elbows were pretty rough. Until she started applying vaseline daily. Now, they’re so soft!
12. Lipgloss: I’m a sucker for lipglosses, but I never buy clear ones. When I just want a bit of shine on my lips, I’ll use vaseline. It’s more moisturizing than any lipgloss I’ve ever tried too.
13. Maintains fragrance longer: some perfumes smell gorgeous, but last so little! To make it linger longer, apply a thin layer of vaseline on your wrist (or wherever else you’re going to apply perfume) before spraying the fragrance on. You’ll be surprised at how well it works.
14. Lip exfoliant: I like to exfoliate my lips before using a bold red lipstick. First, I apply petroleum jelly to my lips. I wait a few minutes and then, using an old toothbrush, I scrub my lips. The result? Soft, smooth lips.
15. Protects skin from hair dye: when I used to dye my hair blonde, I would first apply some vaseline around the hairline. It protects skin from the harsh chemicals contained in the dye.
16. Conditioner: if you have dry hair, you can apply some vaseline to the scalp before shampooing. It’ll condition it and make it soft.
17. Seals in split ends: unfortunately, there’s no way to repair split ends for good. But you can hide them. How? Just put some vaseline on them. It’ll seal them in and make them look like they aren’t there. But don’t do this too often. It takes a couple of shampoos to remove vaseline from your hair!
18. Cream blusher: if I don’t have the right blush shade in my makeup bag, I’ll make my own. It’s really easy. I just mix some vaseline with a bit of lipstick, and apply the paste on my cheeks. Lovely!
19. Prevents uneven tanning: I don’t use tanning lotions anymore, but if you do, you need to know this trick. If you put some petroleum jelly on dry spots before using a fake tan lotion, your tan will be even all over. Wonderful, isn’t it? And so easy!
20. Moisturizes and tames eyebrows: if I need to tame some unruly eyebrows, I’ll use vaseline. Quick and easy.
21. Prevents chafing: do you have a gorgeous pair of shoes that hurts and chafes at your feet? I do too. If I want to wear them, I’ll just apply some vaseline on my heels and the balls of my feet. Now I can walk in them without feeling the pain.
22. Stains remover: no matter how careful I am, sometimes a bit of makeup ends up on my clothes, staining them. Whenever that happens, I turn to vaseline. It does the trick well and quickly.
Do you know other beauty uses for vaseline? Let me know in the comments!