Know Your Ingredients: TEA-Lauryl Sulfate

triethanolamine lauryl sulfate

What it is
TEA-Lauryl Sulfate, the triethanolamine salt of Lauryl Sulfate, is a viscous and yellow liquid.

What it does
TEA-Lauryl Sulfate is a cleansing agent: it helps dirt and oils mix with water so that they can easily be rinsed away.

Side effects
TEA-Lauryl Sulfate is safe for use in concentrations up to 10.5%. Higher concentrations may cause eye and skin irritation, especially if allowed to remain in prolonged contact with the skin.

(Source: cosmeticsinfo.org)

Comments

…and by “tips” of course I meant to say “information”. *Doh* For my next trick, I’ll prove that typing at 3 a.m. is hazardous to your health… ;-)

2. beautifulwithbrains says

Thanks, I’m glad you like these posts too.
    And that’s ok, I make a lot of mistakes like that when I wite late at night, which is something that I shouldn’t really be allowed to do lol

3. catherine says

If TEA is used in all products, what percentage would also be a question to ask, cause we don’t seem to have an alternative? Help

4. beautifulwithbrains says

Catherine, TEA is used in a lot, but not all, products so if you want to avoid using this ingredient you can. TEA is considered to be safe in concentrations up to 10.5% but in most products is used at much less doses (1-2%).

5. Mary says

Hello,
    I’m a little upset as I was reviewing a new skin line (TEA-Lauryl Sulfate (Eleven Skin).
    They claim to use great products from the sea (Which is wonderful if you are using the ingredients you say you are using)
    However, the 2nd ingredients is TEA-Lauryl Sulfate.
    Although this may not be “dangerous” to the skin it’s definitely not good for the skin
    It’s my understanding no type of sulfate is.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks for the great site too!

Mary

• Gio says

Mary, it really depends on the type of sulfate. Some are harsh, while others are gentle. Basically, sulfates are used to cleanse skin because they allow water to mix with oil and dirt so that they can be rinsed away. Anything that cleanses skin can’t be too gentle or it wouldn’t remove anything! On the other hand, you don’t even want anything too harsh that will strip too much of the skin’s natural oil, causing dryness and irritation. Sodium Laureth Sulfate for instance is one of the gentlest, and yet cleanses well. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, instead, is one of the harshest and should be avoided when possible. TEA Lauryl Sulfate is usually safe in small doses.