Stains have become very popular because they are a great alternative to lipsticks and powder blushes. But what are they? What do they do? And how should you apply them?
What are stains?
Stains are coloring agents that are absorbed into the skin to give a natural tint to your cheeks and lips. They usually come in liquid or cream form and dry quickly. Some of them are water-resistant.
The pros of stains
- Stains are long lasting: they last through eating and drinking and you don’t need to reapply them throughout the day. They are also perfect to wear when it’s hot as they won’t sweat off.
- Natural looking: stains give you just a hint of colour. They are great for a natural, fresh-faced look.
- Buildable: if you want a more intense colour, just layer it until you’re happy with the result.
- Don’t cake: stains don’t cake and are great for all skin types.
- Convenient: one stain can be used on lips, cheeks and eyes. However, not all cheek stains can be used on lips as they might not be lip safe. Stains that can be used on both cheeks and lips are marketed as cheek/lip stains.
The cons of stains
- Can be drying: stains tend to be drying. That is why it is always best to apply lip balm before applying lip stains.
How to apply a cheek stain
1. Apply moisturizer and foundation.
2. Using your finger, a brush or directly from the packaging, apply the stain to your cheeks and blend it in an upward and circular motion. Blend them quickly because stains dry very fast.
3. To finish the look, apply a layer of translucent powder.
How to apply a lip stain
1. Exfoliate your lips and apply lip balm.
2. Using you fingers or a brush apply the stain to your lips. Be quick and careful. Stains dry quickly and they will be difficult to remove if you made a mistake.
3. Let it dry and, if you need to, apply another layer.
Do you like stains?